[SOLVED] PSU not strong enough to power RX 470 Nitro+ ?

novaksibalic7

Prominent
Apr 28, 2018
So i recently bought used RX 470 Nitro+ from a trusted and verified seller with the best ratings on site. The GPU uses one 8 pin connector, which my PSU doesn't have so i used 2x6 to 8 pin adapter. After installing the latest drivers and restarting PC my screen was low resolution and desktop was out of screen borders, colors were awful too. Total graphical degradation. I tried to run some games. I ran LoL, the frame rate was good but PC turned off after ~10 seconds and Anti Surge message popped. PC turns off instantly after trying to run Fur Mark benchmark test, also Anti Surge message. I used a program to check voltage and memory clock and it says: GPU Memory Clock capped 300Mhz , Voltage 0.8V.
PSU is Chieftec 550W, bought used 1 year ago. Also I'm wondering now have i damaged GPU and how serious? I'm about to buy a new PSU and don't know how many watts and which producer?

Solution
I'm almost positive the power supply is the problem. The 470 is pretty power hungry, and I highly doubt that psu can provide anywhere close to what's rated at.
Get a proper, reliable unit with all the appropriated connectors. If a power supply ever dies, it might take the whole computer with it, so don't skimp when chosing one!

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
I'm almost positive the power supply is the problem. The 470 is pretty power hungry, and I highly doubt that psu can provide anywhere close to what's rated at.
Get a proper, reliable unit with all the appropriated connectors. If a power supply ever dies, it might take the whole computer with it, so don't skimp when chosing one!

Solution

novaksibalic7

Prominent
Apr 28, 2018
Thanks a lot. Do you think i have damaged GPU in the process. The PC crashed 3 times then i took out GPU to minimize damage.