PSU not working when connected to motherboard but works on the test

tannerallen119

Reputable
Nov 29, 2018
When I was installing my EVGA 550W G3 Power supply to my ASrock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard, the fan on the power supply wouldn’t start and a red light popped up on the motherboard. When I did the test that comes with the PSU the fan worked fine. Does the red light on the motherboard mean anything?

Solution
Does the system start or have you not tried to power on the system yet?

Many power supplies do not turn the fan on, except when jumping specific pins in the connectors for test purposes, until a predetermined temperature is reached inside the power supply. I'm fairly sure the G3 is one of those semi-passive models, especially if there is a two or three way switch on the back for normal and ECO modes.
Does the system start or have you not tried to power on the system yet?

Many power supplies do not turn the fan on, except when jumping specific pins in the connectors for test purposes, until a predetermined temperature is reached inside the power supply. I'm fairly sure the G3 is one of those semi-passive models, especially if there is a two or three way switch on the back for normal and ECO modes.

Solution

tannerallen119

Reputable
Nov 29, 2018

I haven’t tried to turn the system as a whole on. I know the fan works because it comes with a testing thing and I just wanted to make sure everything was working. I am getting a friend who is more knowledgeable to come by and help me out soon. Also, the GPU turned on fine so I think the motherboard as a whole works, I’ll let you know if everything works fine. Thank you for saving me a bit of stress.

Yeah, there is really no point in powering anything on until the whole system is ready to be started. In fact, it's generally useless because it really doesn't tell you anything. Wait until the whole system is assembled, and THEN power on the unit. That is the only thing that will tell you anything at all.

tannerallen119

Reputable
Nov 29, 2018

Okay thank you, I’m new to this type of stuff and got worried. Again thank you, you have saved me quite a bit of stress.