Question PSU or CPU Dead??

Warmanreaper

Prominent
Apr 9, 2020
So my mother was having problems with overheating, we put a window fan on the pc to fix it, after 2 days I went to go clean it as it's hot and i wanted the fan, cleaned out the dust (There was a lot of it, bout 2 years worth) I get it all clean, plug it in, It wont get past boot stage, it powers off with no error code, I made sure cords were plugged in to my knowledge, atleast the ones i was working around (Not very many only toward top of the mobo) If i start it, it tries to boot, and usually turns off around the windows logo, I've read other articles about this, I can't get into boot menu or bios without it turning off, I was gonna replace the thermal paste, but 1 of the 4 screws (corsair water pump) is stripped and I cant get it off, I cant even use a window fan to keep the pc going anymore, it just keeps shutting down. Super frustrated, don't know how to fix this, im thinking its either the Paste, or the PSU went out, if its the paste i probably have to buy practically a new pc since the screw is stripped.

Last edited:

Warmanreaper

Prominent
Apr 9, 2020
Definitely sounds like its doing a thermal shutdown. You need to get that cooler off and replace the thermal paste.

Make sure the cooler is seated correctly and it is possible the AIO is bad.
Any ideas on how to get the cooler off? its a 4 screw cooler 1 in each corner, I can get bottom screws off, the top right screw off, but the top left, when i try to loosen the screw, it just turns the metal part that holds it in, ALSO the more i boot it, the faster it turns off. (Sorry I didnt realize that Strip wasn;t the word to use for the screw being stuck in its thing :s

Last edited:
when i try to loosen the screw, it just turns the metal part that holds it in, ALSO the more i boot it, the faster it turns off.
Under the motherboard hold the standoff that holds the CPU cooler screw in place with plyers or your fingers. I know what your talking about. Also its shutting off quicker because the CPU is too hot to boot and its protecting itself.

Don't turn it on anymore till you fix the thermal issue. Also I hop you weren't turning it on with all those screws unscrewed from the cooler.

Warmanreaper

Prominent
Apr 9, 2020
Under the motherboard hold the standoff that holds the CPU cooler screw in place with plyers or your fingers. I know what your talking about. Also its shutting off quicker because the CPU is too hot to boot and its protecting itself.

Don't turn it on anymore till you fix the thermal issue. Also I hop you weren't turning it on with all those screws unscrewed from the cooler.
I wasnt turning it on unless i had the pc fully assembled was testing if it was bad ram or HDD or something. Standoff? The thing that doesnt let it come out is the metal rivets in the back, it turns with the screw
I cant put the actual image here :/ but i have an imgur link View: https://imgur.com/UXY42gl

EDIT: UPDATE! I got the screw loose! now im gonna clean and apply new paste, hopefully it fixes.

Warmanreaper

Prominent
Apr 9, 2020
Does it look or feel dry? Can't see the pictures at the moment I'll have to look at them when I get home.
it doesnt exactly look dry, but it doesnt come off if i feel it im probably gonna clean the radiator too its full of dust, I dont have a blow dryer or anything like that so im gonna have to let it air dry :/

Warmanreaper

Prominent
Apr 9, 2020
Good thermal paste should come off or attach to whatever you touch with it. Reapply the thermal paste. Yes clean the radiator of dust.
Yep! But uhh the pump, yea its a bit loud nowadays, i looked online and people said its air bubbles and to shake it around to fix it. Do you possibly know, how long I should wait for the radiator to dry?

Warmanreaper

Prominent
Apr 9, 2020
Air bubbles are bad and that's probably why your system is overheating.
Don't know if you're awake, but would you argue it would be okay to put the heatsink back in to test? been about an hour almost an hour and a half since I cleaned it. I dont know if it would be terrible for it to go in yet :s

Warmanreaper

Prominent
Apr 9, 2020
You can try. Do you think you got the bubbles out of the AIO? The fins that collect the dust don't have any electronic parts so you are good.
So far, SUCCESS! I currently have an app watching core temps to see if it gets too high... right now its at about 27, at first boot, was at 21. Air bubbles are gone, decently silent now.

Warmanreaper

Prominent
Apr 9, 2020
That is good!
Everyday its something man.. I woke up and it became a little louder again, she wants to replace it, Do you know what i'd have to look up to find the coolers that support the 4 screws? I dont know the types, I just know that they're different because mine uses the 1 screw on top and bottom, while hers uses the 4 screws at the corners. Also thank you for helping me throughout this entire thing! Very helpful person!!!

Everyday its something man.. I woke up and it became a little louder again, she wants to replace it, Do you know what i'd have to look up to find the coolers that support the 4 screws? I dont know the types, I just know that they're different because mine uses the 1 screw on top and bottom, while hers uses the 4 screws at the corners. Also thank you for helping me throughout this entire thing! Very helpful person!!!
I'm sorry to hear that. What CPU do you have?