PSU or GPU problem

Geobram

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Hello :)

Ik quite a long time ago I have constructed my own computer which has run very well until recently. The specs of the computer can be seen below:

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Type: ACPI x64-based PC
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. P1.20, 3/8/2012
Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
Power Supply: Zalman P/N 9PA6000500
HD1: M4-CT128M4SSD2
HD2: SAMSUNG HD501LJ
GPU: MSI AMD R7950-2PMD3GD5/OC 3072MB DVI-I/ HDMI/2x Mini Display Port
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4/A/ASR
Asmedia 106x SATA Controller
Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
Realtek High Definition Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

And now onto the problem. About a month ago my computer suddenly stopped working. Nothing happened when I pressed the power button except that the lights in the caes turned on for a second. So I started checking everything as far as my knowledge went and I couldn't find anything wrong. So I removed every component one be one and replaced them with another from a different pc (that works fine). And the computer worked again when I exchanged the GPU (other GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series), well it worked for a bit at least.

The computer still struggles when it has to start up. When I press the power button the lights go on and the fans start, and then they all turn off and then then on again. Until the computer start up eventually, but sometimes it says that there is no harddrive or similar to start windows from. When I start the computer again (immediately after the previous start up) it basically always starts up fine with no problems at all.

I have send the broken GPu to my supplier and the confirmed that it was broken and send me a new one (MSI AMD Radeon R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC 3GR7970-2PMD3GD5/OC-AN). Unfortunately this one gives the same problem as his little brother.

Could it be a PSU problem and not a GPU problem?

Many thanks!

Solution
The age and symptoms of that PSU would indicate failing capacitors.

There is a CapXon 85°C rated primary capacitor and a mix of CapXon, OST, Teapo 105°C rated secondary capacitors in that PSU. Those are low quality capacitors by today's standard. The expected life of that PSU would be at least 3 Years.
The age and symptoms of that PSU would indicate failing capacitors.

There is a CapXon 85°C rated primary capacitor and a mix of CapXon, OST, Teapo 105°C rated secondary capacitors in that PSU. Those are low quality capacitors by today's standard. The expected life of that PSU would be at least 3 Years.

Solution
The replacement graphics card that they sent you consumes more power than the original defective one that you sent back.

Get a PSU that has at least a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 45 Amps or greater and also has at least one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors. This should be enough to handle overclocking of both the CPU and GPU.

Get something with a higher quality than Corsair's CX Series.

Seasonic M12II-650 (SS-650AM) uses all Japanese 105°C rated electrolytic capacitors which lead to a longer service life hence the 5 Year warranty.
• maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 53 Amps
• four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors
• 80 PLUS BRONZE Efficiency Certification
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151106&ignorebbr=1

TRENDING THREADS