PSU or MOBO problem?

LittleTimmy

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
Hi there everybody, I came because I've been having a problem.

During late December (20, more or less), we moved the computer into the hottest room with no AC, with the back and side against the wall (30 cms distance). Then shit started happening. At first it was very light. PC would shut down if I played L4D2 without the AC on the other room on, something like that. Then it went from L4D2 to Fallout 3, then to Flash Games. And then, all I could do was browse the internet and play Diablo 1. I noticed the GPU (an old 8600 gt, 512 mb, ddr2 edition, xfx) was running at a toasty 65/75ºC in idle. I changed the thermal paste. Nothing. I took it out, believing it to be the source of the problem. And it still shuts down when I force it. If I play Frets on Fire for more than 30 minutes, it's a sure-fire way to get my computer to hard shutdown (no bsod, only the "Windows has found a problem" pop up after I turn it on again).

My MOBO is an M2N68 AM-SE with an Athlon Dual-Core 7750 BE running @ stock. My PSU is an at least 3 years old Eurocase CL-500.

PS: I'm running on the onboard video now and it still happens. FurMark caused my computer to hard shutdown after 30 minutes the three times I did a stress test with the 8600 gt. CPU is fine, ran a cpu stress test for 1 and a half hours without problem.

Edit: Sometimes, when that happens and I try to immediately turn it back on, the green led lights for a second... and then it dies again. Also, more than once, I had to wait for at least half an hour for it to work well again (meaning, the first thing would happen everytime I tried until some time passed)