[SOLVED] PSU or Motherboard Failure?

Jun 16, 2020
Hi Everyone,

Yesterday, my PSU went bang with a spark, machine went off and the circuit breaker in my house tripped. The PC is a new build, a month old, so I've had some daily use out if it.

I took the PSU out of the machine and tested it with a paperclip bridge between pins and also a case fan attached, no response so I think it's dead.

I've ordered a new PSU, but I want to make sure it's definately the PSU causing the issue before I risk blowing another PSU. Is there a way to make sure it's not the motherboard or a motherboard mounted component causing the issue?

Background: PSU was Corsair TX550M, Motherboard is MSI X470, Case is Corsair Carbide 100R. To be completely sure, I thoroughly checked the hardware setup when I disassembled it to diagnose. Motherboard risers screwed in well, no breaks in any cables, no noticeable issues.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Thank you
James

Jun 14, 2020
MSI is good motherboard. I had faulty Corsair TX650 that killed my Azrock mobo, but MSI stay running with my TX650 until i realize my PSU is the problem (it hit my 6 days SSD after replacing new MSI motherboard)

Jun 16, 2020
Update: I've installed a new PSU and my PC is running again as if nothing happened, so it must have been the PSU only. Everything checks out so far (y)

Thanks for the comments everyone!
James

TRENDING THREADS