[SOLVED] PSU or motherboard issues?

lavrusha63

Commendable
Oct 1, 2020
I have an issue when i press my power button on my pc, it starts, immediately shuts down and then starts again. And works fine after that. Also my PSU making some switching noise when it starts or shuts down.
Is that even an issue? Or this is how things work nowadays?
My motherboard is Gigabyte aorus b550 Pro, and my PSU is Thermaltake PF1 650w.
Sorry for my broken english.

Solution
Your motherboard performs RAM training each startup, and then reboots to apply optimized settings. PSU makes a noise on startup/shutdown because there's a relay inside.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
What CPU, GPU, CPU cooler and OS and OS drive do you have?
Is the CPU cooler fan running OK? When did you last blow the dust out of your PC?
What CPU temps are you getting? What are the PSU 3.3V, 5V and 12V rails running at?
I find using HWINfo64 is good to get this sort of info.

lavrusha63

Commendable
Oct 1, 2020
What CPU, GPU, CPU cooler and OS and OS drive do you have?
Is the CPU cooler fan running OK? When did you last blow the dust out of your PC?
What CPU temps are you getting? What are the PSU 3.3V, 5V and 12V rails running at?
I find using HWINfo64 is good to get this sort of info.
My CPU is Ryzen 7 3700x and cooler works fine. I have no issues with temperatures at all.
OS is Windows 10 Pro 2004 build installed on M.2 SSD Adata XPG sx8200 Pro.
GPU is GIgabyte GTX 1050ti G1
Also i built this PC like couple days ago, so there is no dust at all.
PSU rails are also fine: for 12V rail - 12.091, for 3.3V - 3.343 or around that, for 5V - 5.1
CPU temperatures is like 32-50 in Windows, browser etc (i didnt lock my cores and voltages, it on all auto in BIOS) and like 45-55 in games.

Last edited:

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
Maybe its a bios problem eg ram settings. This could cause it to boot twice - it fixes the ram timings then reboots.
Check your PSU - the 3.3v, 5v and 12v readings in HWInfo64. Maybe it's faulty.

lavrusha63

Commendable
Oct 1, 2020
Maybe its a bios problem eg ram settings. This could cause it to boot twice - it fixes the ram timings then reboots.
Check your PSU - the 3.3v, 5v and 12v readings in HWInfo64. Maybe it's faulty.
Pretty sure timings are fine. My RAM works with XMP profile. Exact timings are 16-18-18-36 with 1.38V. Works on 3200Mhz. I did a stress test in AIDA64 yesterday, passed 1 hour and 30 minutes runtime without any problems. Also i did memtest86 all 4 passes and didn't get any errors.
AIDA64 System stability test: View: https://imgur.com/rTYcGo9

HWiNFO64 Rails: View: https://imgur.com/QgSxHay

lavrusha63

Commendable
Oct 1, 2020
Your motherboard performs RAM training each startup, and then reboots to apply optimized settings. PSU makes a noise on startup/shutdown because there's a relay inside.
Isn't it kinda short time to do such thing? I mean time between me pressing the start button and PC turning off is like 1 second or even less. And after that it starts booting normally.
Also I just tried to start my PC without my back case door and it starts normally without that wierd thing.

lavrusha63

Commendable
Oct 1, 2020
I don't know for sure what's going on there but it sounds pretty much like RAM training, about one second yes. It's definitely not PSU related.
So i figured out that my RAM causes mobo start twice because of XMP profile. I tryed to dissable it so its booted at 2400Mhz, 1.224V and the timings are 17-19-19-39 and now mobo starts good. Should I RMA my RAM kit then?

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
So i figured out that my RAM causes mobo start twice because of XMP profile. I tryed to dissable it so its booted at 2400Mhz, 1.224V and the timings are 17-19-19-39 and now mobo starts good. Should I RMA my RAM kit then?

Is your ram a kit?
Is it a kit that is listed in your motherboard QVL?

If yes to both questions then you should be able to RMA the kit - they all have lifetime warranties.

lavrusha63

Commendable
Oct 1, 2020
Is your ram a kit?
Is it a kit that is listed in your motherboard QVL?

If yes to both questions then you should be able to RMA the kit - they all have lifetime warranties.
Yes its a kit (2x8Gb) and no its not on the QVL. Is that a problem to do RMA? Vendors in our country gives customers 14 days period to check that all work good. If its not you are able to simply bring thing that you bought and ask for exchange or even get your money back without telling why. Well at least thats what i heard when i bought my parts.

lavrusha63

Commendable
Oct 1, 2020
AMD CPUs aren't 100% compatible with Intel XMP, therefore not all RAM kits would run perfectly without motherboard performing RAM training, it's normal, no need to RMA. You can try to tweak timings manually, that might help.
So basically i have nothing to worry about and let it be that way? I mean beside this "RAM training" i don't have any problems running this RAM on XMP profile at 3200Mhz. Memtest86 all good, no errors for 4 passes. And also AIDA64 stability test pass with 1h30m runtime.

lavrusha63

Commendable
Oct 1, 2020
The wierd thing is that my XMP profile should be working at 1.35V but mobo start it with 1.38V with DRAM voltage set to auto. I tryed to manually set it to 1.35V but its still on 1.38V. Also i tryed set it to 1.38V and mobo says its on 1.4V. There is like a second column right near where you put what voltage you would like to set and it always says 1.2V. I can take a picture if i described that bad.

lavrusha63

Commendable
Oct 1, 2020
Have you tried a bios reset?
Yes, it boots with 2400Mhz, 1.224V and timings are like 19-19-19-39 or like that (so default JEDEC profile i assume). But the problem with double boot is still there.
So i google "RAM training" and thats what i learned. If i try to run my RAM without any XMP profile it should start with 2400Mhz and 1.2V. And there is a thing called "RAM training voltage". So without any XMP profile enabled training voltage is set by default to 1.2V. And my PC trying to boot my RAM at 1.2V. But it seem like its failing, and thats what causes reboot. Then its trying to boot at higher voltage and finds out that 1.224V is good enough to boot RAM at 2400Mhz and just boots the system.
So the same thing happens when i trying to boot my PC with XMP profile enabled. But instead of getting default training voltage which is 1.2V it gets voltage of XMP profile which is 1.35V. And then the same thing happening. Its trying to boot at 1.35V but failing and then boots at 1.38V.
The only thing confronting with this theory is when i manually put 1.38V in my DRAM voltage and the system boot my RAM at 1.4V. It doesn't make any sense.
Please correct me if i am wrong.
Another wierd thing is that shortly after i turned my PC off (like 20-30 seconds), i turn it on again and i dont get my mobo start twice.

Last edited:

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
So basically i have nothing to worry about and let it be that way? I mean beside this "RAM training" i don't have any problems running this RAM on XMP profile at 3200Mhz. Memtest86 all good, no errors for 4 passes. And also AIDA64 stability test pass with 1h30m runtime.
Yes, you either keep it the way it is or try to fix it manually by setting timings yourself with the help of Ryzen DRAM Calculator.

CxRizzle

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
This exact same thing happens with my system. But only if power is completely cut from the system such as unplugging it or the power going out. Has done this for a couple years now, and I've never noticed anything wrong during daily use.