Case: Phanteks Enthroo PRO
Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus XI Gene
CPU: i7-9700k
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX2070
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z. RGB
CPU fan: H7 Cryorig
SSD: M.2 NvMe + Sata
HDD: Some 1TB junk...

So the story is that my new PSU isn't working with my new setup. The LEDs light on the mobo but it won't boot. The PSU(?) makes a click for half a second and the fan moves but then it stops.

I've checked this with an older PSU (Micronics classic 2 500W) and it boots fine. What's weird is that I've checked this PSU with an older mobo (GA H97 Gaming 3 with i5) and it boots fine.

I've tried:
  • Unplugging everything and just testing the mobo + cpu.
  • Tried different pins for cpu fan (since the phanteks case has this weird adapter thing)
  • Testing with just 1 RAM
All results the same.
I'm not entirely sure if what I've tried even helps in any way...
I'm planning to test the pins of the PSU with a multimeter tomorrow but I'm not sure if that would even be an issue considering how it works with another mobo...
I don't think there's a compatibility issue going on here.
Would there be any way for me to fix this issue?

Last edited:
If I understand you correct, you have a new MB + new PSU + old MB + old PSU , and you figure ot the combination that works and not works:
New MB + new PSU ; not working
New MB + old PSU ; Works just fine
Old MB + new PSU ; Works just fine

Did you try the old PSU on the complete setup or just with a minimum of components ?

stephen9310

Commendable
Nov 15, 2019
Yes,

At the moment im running my new setup with the old PSU. I was slightly worried about the amount of power I'm going to need as I plan to keep upgrading/adding more parts.

stephen9310

Commendable
Nov 15, 2019
Yes,

At the moment im running my new setup with the old PSU. I was slightly worried about the amount of power I'm going to need as I plan to keep upgrading/adding more parts.

Hi, just an update.

I've gotten a replacement for the PSU (same one) and it works!! Not entirely certain what the issue was but I'm guessing the 8-pin connection wasnt drawing enough power as it should be... so it was being uncomfortable with a heavier load.

It's just a guess but at least it's finally working as intended!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.