PSU or other problem? Help needed

Crissb3

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
Hello. My computer has started crashing/restarting while playing games recently. I am no expert, but I think it might be the PSU.

I monitor my temperatures and they are not high (max 80 celsius CPU and lower on GPU). Sometimes when I boot the screen, mouse and keyboard dont work. Sometimes even when not gaming the screen and mouse will freeze for a couple seconds, complete shut off and come back alive. I used Hwmonitor and it showed low volt value. 11.176 max and 11.000 min. On the 12+V.

I have a 600W PSU
Nvidia geforce gtx 970
3.5 ghz intel quad core

Crissb3

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
I did a RAM test with the windows memory test, no problems shown. Did both quick and thourough one... Have any tips to check if its the CPU? Have run stress tests with no problem. So you dont think its the GPU?

It's certainly not the GPU. GPU wouldn't affect mouse/keyboard.

As for the PSU it depends. Usually a PSU would just shut down if it is overloaded and is sufficient quality.
Especially since (I might be corrected there) USB&PS/2 ports aren't 12V I think.

Keeps mainboard and CPU remaining.

Crissb3

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
Intel Core i5-4690K @ 3.50GHz
MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB
MSI H97 Gaming 3
Corsair CX600M, 600W PSU
4x4GB Crucial BallistiX tactical DDR3

I just ran a stress test and ram-test. Cpu 100 degrees celsius, no crashes, no problems...

Crissb3

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
I have 2 fans in the cabinet + the CPU fan and fans on GPU. I also just recently added new cooling paste on CPU. Its 100 celsius when stress testing. normally 55 celsius, when gaming 70-80 celsius.

Edit: The computer only seem to crash when opening games.
Edit: scratch that. Now it randomly restarted. CPU was 66 degrees celsius. GPU was 27 degrees celsius.

Are you using the stock CPU cooler? Your CPU temps are on the high side. Mine are @35-40 idle and 55-60 under Stress test(prime95). You said you "added new cooling paste". Did you remove the old paste before adding the new?

Crissb3

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017

I am using the stock CPU cooler. So I should probably get a new one. But could it be the CPU that cause the crashes? Even at 60 degrees celsius? I did remove the old paste when I added new, yes.

Edit: Removed the stock fan and put it back in place, also added some more cooling paste. Now down to 33 degrees celsius from 50-60.

Looks like you solved your overheat problem, but we still haven't eliminated the PSU as the cause of your crashes. Do you have a spare PSU to test that it isn't your PSU?

Crissb3

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017

I do not have a spare PSU at the moment, no. But now it keeps restarting randomly when opening even the smallest of tasks, even google chrome and calculator. Last shut down CPU was at 31 degrees celsius.

Is CPU eliminated or can it still be the problem? I have been through every component thinking I have finally found the problem, but I am still clueless... :pt1cable:

I was thinking maybe it could be the motherboard, cause suddenly keyboard, screen and mouse dont work, and then it works and something else dont work.

I am going to borrow a friends PSU tomorrow and hope that is the problem. Thanks for all your help :)

Crissb3

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017

Ok, so I tested a new PSU. Still no bueno... Restarts at boot and crashes randomly. Sometimes it wont even boot properly, all fans and lights turn on but no screen showing etc.

I tried booting without the GPU and it runs fine, no crashes so far. Can it still be a CPU problem or most likely GPU then?

You can disconnect the GPU and use the iGPU.

But honestly I don't think it's the GPU.
It's sufficiently cool from what you've said and shouldn't influence other parts like that.
My bet is on either the board or the CPU, most likely took some heat damage

Crissb3

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017

Yeah, I did disconnect the GPU and it boots perfectly and doesn't crash/restart.
Thanks again! Will investigate further in the weekend, gonna try using the CPU and GPU in a friends computer, probably easier to rule out whats wrong that way.

Is there a reason it only crash while GPU is plugged in tho? Does the GPU affect the CPU?

Crissb3

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
Ok, tested the GPU in another computer and it works fine so far.. but my computer runs perfectly fine with another GPU too... so I have no clue? Any ideas?

This brings us back to the PSU. What is the make/model of the PSU you used to test with. What make/model of GPU did you test with?

Crissb3

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
I tested with a friends PSU and the same happens.
Corsair CX600M mine
Corsair CX750M friends.

Msi Geforce GTX 970 gaming 4gb mine
Tested with a friends GPU, same model, exact same.

It only crash with my GPU in my computer. Every other GPU work fine in my computer and my GPU work fine in any other computer it seems.....

That your motherboard has an issue with your GPU.

Crissb3

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
How does that happen? After 6-7 months all of a sudden its not compatible with one another? And what do I send back to the place I bought it? Motherboard?