psu or pc case fan making a strange noise HELP!

Kevv09

Prominent
May 13, 2017
so I noticed that when I play lol either my psu or case fan makes a clicking/ticking noise like tick.....tick sometimes tick tick tick.... usually theres a 5-10 second pause its not constant like ive seen on other people videos on YT its not loud but annoying and when I play csgo and when I look on YouTube its fine but when I play lol and siege it makes that noise what could it be? help I'm worried I got this pc 6 months ago ik for sure its the case fan or the psu

ive got
gtx 950
i3 6100
corsair 350W

Solution
More than likely your games are drawing enough power that the fan in the psu is spinning faster than normal, due to heat output from the higher draw. It'd not be a stretch of the imagination that the raised speed just happens to be at the exact right rpm that those bearings in the fan need to be unstable. Low grade corsair psus use a pretty cheap fan, they fail often.

I'd try using a program like msi kombuster to put the gpu through its paces, maximizing power draw. See if the noise gets worse with the higher draw.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
More than likely your games are drawing enough power that the fan in the psu is spinning faster than normal, due to heat output from the higher draw. It'd not be a stretch of the imagination that the raised speed just happens to be at the exact right rpm that those bearings in the fan need to be unstable. Low grade corsair psus use a pretty cheap fan, they fail often.

I'd try using a program like msi kombuster to put the gpu through its paces, maximizing power draw. See if the noise gets worse with the higher draw.

Solution

Kevv09

Prominent
May 13, 2017

So I should invest in a new psu then? I'm worried I'm going to get one but won't work like maybe it's too big or small or won't have some wires that my setup needs
Also should I be worried about this or should I just leave it make the noise

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well, if the psu is less than 3 yrs old, I'd see if it'll warranty. If it's older, then I'd consider replacing it. It's a standard ATX psu, 95% on any psus you'll find are standard ATX. They'll all have any necessary wires. The only real change in any psu is the graphics card power cables, higher output 'quality' psus have more cables to power bigger or multiple gpus.
For you, any 400-550w will be fine, depending on what's on sale, but I would stay away from the cheap psus. Stick to Seasonic, Corsair CXM, Vengeance, Antec HCG, XFX (not XT) and some others.

Kevv09

Prominent
May 13, 2017

Is EVGA any good or should I just get another corsair?

Kevv09

Prominent
May 13, 2017

TRENDING THREADS