[SOLVED] PSU or PCI-E Slot on Mobo?

op24ti12mus94

Distinguished
May 29, 2013
I had a GTX 660, which stopped working (I assumed since it was 5-6 years old) as the display gave no output even after trying all the pins at the back; however, the CPU starts and runs, so the fans on GPU too.
I got GTX 1060 from my friend to test and it gave the exact same error, no display output; however the computer and GPU fans are running as usual just like before. I now think it can either be my PSU or the PCI-E slot or the motherboard itself that has gone bad and would appreciate some suggestions to have the issue confirmed.
For a start in troubleshooting, I took out the 6-pin power cable and found the fans on GPU running from PCI-E slot power, so does it conclusively indicate a faulty PSU?

(Also, the computer boots properly with display output on integrated graphics; and my PSU and mobo are both 3-4 years old)

Specs:
PSU: 500w
GPU: GTX 1060 (6GB)
CPU: i5 3570k
8GB RAM

Last edited:
Solution
To close the circle and verify that the psu is the culprit.
Try friend's psu in your pc along with the GTX660.

When you buy a replacement psu, consider the purchase as a long term investment for the most important component of your pc. A quality psu will be good for several generations of upgrades.
Buy a tier1/2 unit, no less than 3 from a list such as this.
Seasonic focus in 550-650w would be good.
For a start in troubleshooting, I took out the 6-pin power cable and found the fans on GPU running from PCI-E slot power, so does it conclusively indicate a faulty PSU?
No. the pci-e slot provides up to 75watts of power, but, it has different pins for power and data, meaning maybe the data pins died.

If you can, try the psu on a different pc or the card in a different slot/pc

op24ti12mus94

Distinguished
May 29, 2013
No. the pci-e slot provides up to 75watts of power, but, it has different pins for power and data, meaning maybe the data pins died.

If you can, try the psu on a different pc or the card in a different slot/pc

Thank you for your reply.
I will be testing out a different PSU from my friend's PC for further confirmation.
The card is totally fine as my friend was using the card until morning of today in his PC; although sadly I cannot test the card on other slot in my mobo since it has only single PCI-E slot.

The cards need the aux 6 pin power.
You learn nothing by not having that plugged in.

Your problem is likely either the psu or the GTX660.
If the GTX1060 runs in your pc, then the problem is a bad GTX660.
OTOH, if the GTX660 runs ok in friends pc, the problem is likely the power supply.
What is the make/model of your psu?
500w is plenty from a quality unit.
But a cheap unit can deteriorate and should be replaced.

op24ti12mus94

Distinguished
May 29, 2013
The cards need the aux 6 pin power.
You learn nothing by not having that plugged in.

Your problem is likely either the psu or the GTX660.
If the GTX1060 runs in your pc, then the problem is a bad GTX660.
OTOH, if the GTX660 runs ok in friends pc, the problem is likely the power supply.
What is the make/model of your psu?
500w is plenty from a quality unit.
But a cheap unit can deteriorate and should be replaced.

Thank you for your reply.
The GTX 1060 runs fine in my friends PC so the question of a bad GPU is pretty much out.
My PSU is not from a very reliable or reputed company, its from Circle Gaming (if you have heard about it) and its been in my PC for about 4 years now, so that is my prime suspect.

When you buy a replacement psu, consider the purchase as a long term investment for the most important component of your pc. A quality psu will be good for several generations of upgrades.

Reactions: op24ti12mus94
Solution

op24ti12mus94

Distinguished
May 29, 2013

Thank you for the suggestion.
I checked the entire system today with swapping of the PSU and found out that my old PSU was damaged and was not able to power any GPU (either 660 or 1060); however it was okay with integrated graphics.
I took corsair VS550 which my uncle had in spare and now the system is all okay.

Thank you for your kind help and suggestions!