Question PSU Overheating. Replace?

Ghost 0776

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
My PC has been running fine for 4 yrs now, now it is shutting down when the PSU overheats. Ik its the PSU due to it being too hot to touch and everything else works fine. The PSU fan was not spinning which Im thinking is the problem. However my PC is a heater basically shoots my room temp through the roof and only shuts off when the room is really hot(After hours of gaming).

What do you guys think is my best course of action here. Full replacement? or maybe only Fan replacement? or just room temp control which in the past few years was never a problem even when it was hot. This is my second PC that aimed to be 100% better in every way. The PSU is a well made high quality one. The specifics I cant remember rn(3am) but will post later if its really relevant. Going to bed now but will check if PSU fan spins at all on startup. I appreciate any feedback.

Ghost 0776

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
What chassis and how is the PSU oriented (fan down or fan up)?

PSU has Zero RPM fan mode. Fan isn't going to spin most of the time.
After a little research I did find that the PSU fan does not spin even on start up so I cant definitively says thats the problem. The PSU fan was facing downwards in my Fractal Design Meshify C chassis. Not even 30 mins ago I just flipped it upwards in an attempt to make this problem go away. I wont know if its a solid fix till it shutsdown again and only shuts down during long hours of use. I probably played 7-8 hrs yesterday and only shutdown unexpectedly at the end of the night when my room was very hot.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The original RM750/850 was plagued with shutdowns when pushed to extreme load limits, a design flaw in the casing and fan. Subsequent revisions fixed all that, but it was always a very good psu if kept from maximum heat output.

Exactly how old is the psu? The RM had a 5 year warranty back then (I believe, might have been 7 years) , so I'd be giving Corsair a call and see if it's covered for repair/replacement. It is an excellent unit otherwise, be a shame to toss it, but I'd not go pushing gaming until this is resolved or shutdowns might be the least of your worries.

The original RM750/850 was plagued with shutdowns when pushed to extreme load limits, a design flaw in the casing and fan.

"Plagued" is a bit of a harsh word. The affected units were only lot codes < 1341. And it was a thermistor placement issue.

If this was OP's case, he would have experienced the problems right away. Not four years later.

After a little research I did find that the PSU fan does not spin even on start up so I cant definitively says thats the problem. The PSU fan was facing downwards in my Fractal Design Meshify C chassis. Not even 30 mins ago I just flipped it upwards in an attempt to make this problem go away. I wont know if its a solid fix till it shutsdown again and only shuts down during long hours of use. I probably played 7-8 hrs yesterday and only shutdown unexpectedly at the end of the night when my room was very hot.

How hot is your room getting?

In the four years you've had this PC, NOTHING has changed? None of the other PC parts? Have you moved to a hotter region or hotter part of the house?

When the PC does shut down, can you turn it back on right away? Because, if it were the PSU overheating, it wouldn't allow you to turn back on until it has a chance to cool down.

Turning the PSU around in that case isn't a bad idea. It has the grill in the PSU shroud (assuming the PSU fan lines up) and the heat can now rise away from the PSU's PCB... assuming that's the actual problem.

Ghost 0776

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
"Plagued" is a bit of a harsh word. The affected units were only lot codes < 1341. And it was a thermistor placement issue.

If this was OP's case, he would have experienced the problems right away. Not four years later.

How hot is your room getting?

In the four years you've had this PC, NOTHING has changed? None of the other PC parts? Have you moved to a hotter region or hotter part of the house?

When the PC does shut down, can you turn it back on right away? Because, if it were the PSU overheating, it wouldn't allow you to turn back on until it has a chance to cool down.

Turning the PSU around in that case isn't a bad idea. It has the grill in the PSU shroud (assuming the PSU fan lines up) and the heat can now rise away from the PSU's PCB... assuming that's the actual problem.
Nothing has changed, besides adding and replacing few case fans the PC has stayed the same. These shutdowns have only started happening this year. Idk the exact temps my room gets to but due to poor house design it is the hottest room in the house during summer. My guess would be 90-100 F, The PC is the main reason it get so warm in the room. Easily solved by just opening a couple windows at night unless its a hot summer night. I have not moved the PC's location either.

I am able to restart the PC right away after it shuts down, it has on one occasion just restarted itself. Could this be a different problem other than the PSU?

Some Specs
i7 7700k
MSI z270 mobo
MSI gtx 1080ti
Windows runs off a Samsung SSD 850

Its run without a hickup till this year. I dust it often because I have lots of pets its very clean, the only notable occurrence when unexpectedly shutting down is the room temperature and PSU temperature. I just replaced 1 case fan and added 1 more for a total of 6 case fans. I did so after the problem started. Also only occurs after being on for a long period of time with heavy game use. If I dont do anything intensive it works fine.

I am able to restart the PC right away after it shuts down, it has on one occasion just restarted itself. Could this be a different problem other than the PSU?

A restart is not a shut down.

If a PSU overheats, OTP latches it off. You shouldn't be able to turn it back on right away and the PC certainly won't just restart. If the PSU overheats and has OTP, it's going to shut down until it cools down.

You don't have a PSU problem.

Ghost 0776

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
A restart is not a shut down.

If a PSU overheats, OTP latches it off. You shouldn't be able to turn it back on right away and the PC certainly won't just restart. If the PSU overheats and has OTP, it's going to shut down until it cools down.

You don't have a PSU problem.
It has only restarted one time, the rest have been straight shut downs. No problem booting right back up though. If not the PSU is there any other likely culprits, and any way of narrowing down what it might be?