PSU placement (clearance problems) advice needed please!

mattnicholas.art

Honorable
May 16, 2018
Hi,

I'm part-way through building a computer for my aunt and please teach' I'm stuck ;) I'm using a small(ish) retro mATX case (ACME ACM605X) which has limited space for PSU placement in the designated upper power supply area; part of the optical bay cradle is blocking around 50% of the PSU fan (Corsair CX450). I have 4 choices as I look at it:

1 - Place PSU fan-down with 50% of fan blocked
2 - Place PSU fan-up but only allowing less than 1cm clearance above it to draw air in
3 - Install an SFX PSU fan-up (it allows a slightly-better 4.5cm clearance above the PSU)
4 - Dremmel out part of the cradle to allow the full-size PSU to breathe (would be awkward considering I don't have the tools)
5 - Nope, I'm not going to use a different case!

Would I get away with using the SFX PSU with 4.5cm clearance or would it be better to run with the larger PSU (and larger fan) with only 50% of the fan showing? I'm guessing the SFX would be best but if someone can say different I'd be interested!

Thanks in advance.. Matt

mattnicholas.art

Honorable
May 16, 2018

Thanks for answering. SFX makes most sense to me as well. Not budging on the case though - I like it, dust or no dust and will make it work - it's only gonna be used for ultra-light computer work anyway...web browsing, one or 2 simple games, the occasional excel doc. etc. ;)

mattnicholas.art

Honorable
May 16, 2018

Thanks, I managed to install the SFX PSU fan-down in the end, so it gives nearly 4cm clearance (and better clearance overall as it's also not far away from the main optical cradle cutout now); the thing is running silent as a sleeping baby, temps are around 32C on idle average between the 2 cores. Very pleased considering it's such an old case design it's working so well. I know I'm in the minority but damn I wish beige / sand / ivory / cream etc. would get a resurgence of popularity for cases, it's a beautiful color IMO ;)