[SOLVED] PSU plug/prong melted. What should I do ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ari1717

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2014
I am running a Corsair VS650 PSU for the last four years. A couple of cords simply stopped working but the PSU never gave any issues. Fast forward to today. After around 6 hours of Destiny 2 (AMD 2600+Nvidia 2060 FE) there was a sudden crackling sound and the display went blank. (monitor was still on)

Smelling burnt rubber, I turned off all power to the system. Pulled out the PSU plug cord and one of the ends had melted. The corresponding print on the PSU socket was damaged.

Idiot that I am, I promptly plugged in my printer power cord (same three prong end) and turned on the system. Crackling sound! Poof! White smoke and the system turns on for a moment then shuts down.

From what I've read, it's either due to a faulty cord or a poor PSU. Replacing the cord is a given (it was a generic INR 250 cord~ $3.50). Should I replace the PSU as well (since it's probably out of warranty) ? If yes, which model should I go for ? Or should I go for repairs ?

Also, please tell me the rest of the system is okay ? There doesn't seem to be any visible burns on any area apart from the PSU socket.

Any help getting me out of this belated Halloween horror will be greatly appreciated.

Image of the disaster : View: http://imgur.com/a/eleWKEU

Solution
Looking at whats available on that website, the 750w Antec Earthwatts Gold pro is probably the best option for the money. However, if you want to save a few bucks, this, is a really decent unit and would save you a few bucks. It has plenty of capacity for your configuration and is a better than average quality unit. Reviews of the Vengeance models are quite good actually. Better than the CX and CXm units from what I've seen and read.

https://mdcomputers.in/corsair-veng...lar-cp-9020175-uk.html?sort=p.price&order=ASC
Looking at whats available on that website, the 750w Antec Earthwatts Gold pro is probably the best option for the money. However, if you want to save a few bucks, this, is a really decent unit and would save you a few bucks. It has plenty of capacity for your configuration and is a better than average quality unit. Reviews of the Vengeance models are quite good actually. Better than the CX and CXm units from what I've seen and read.

https://mdcomputers.in/corsair-veng...lar-cp-9020175-uk.html?sort=p.price&order=ASC

Solution

ari1717

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2014

Thanks. Settled for the Antec Earthwatts in the end. The PC is working great again, and the PSU is quiet. I'm relieved and happy. :)

The man at the store offered to fix the old Corsair with some soldering and a socket from a dead PSU. I got it done but I'm not sure I would want to use it as the first option. Looked decidedly stop-gap to me (couldn't take photos).

Definitely replace the PSU! It is permanently damaged after what you described.

I recently got the RM750x and highly recommend it.
Previously, I used an old BFG 800W that I've had for 11 years. It started to give some unnerving coil whine once I got my Vega64 so I decided to get the RM750x. It's quiet as a mouse. At least now all I hear is the blower on my Vega64.

Well there's a bit of ancient history in there. Originally it came with a plug that wouldn't fit the wall socket here. So I got a spike guard power strip that was "recommended" by the store.

Two months later, the pike guard died and so did the cord. Died would be wrong - it would produce crackling sounds and small Sparks. The sparks were pretty.

Two more power cords have died in the past three years. This one in the picture is the fourth.

Ok.. There's something seriously wrong with the power in your house then. LOL! That's not "normal" tearing up hardware right there.

Thanks. Yes I read that the architecture was outdated and would give trouble if I moved to Intel in the future.

Has NOTHING to do with Intel vs. AMD. Not sure how you ever extrapolated that from anything I've ever read about the S12II.

LWFG001

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017
It looks like his surge protector was defeated a long time ago. ari1717, buy yourself a GOOD primary surge protector. You're in India and you'll need it. Check this one out:

APC 8-Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip (P8U2)

apc_p8u2_surgearrest_8_outlet_surge_protector_1219812.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ari1717

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2014
Ok.. There's something seriously wrong with the power in your house then. LOL! That's not "normal" tearing up hardware right there.

Has NOTHING to do with Intel vs. AMD. Not sure how you ever extrapolated that from anything I've ever read about the S12II.
Yes the whole wiring goes back to the era of Nixon and Indira Gandhi lol. Changed parts of it, though it's not entirely in my own hands since I don't own the house. And absolutely nobody gives a damn about electrical wiring in this country. Just today a house caught fire while I was getting my PSU checked. Smh.

As for the Intel thing, perhaps I read it wrong. Anyhow not exactly planning on upgrading the CPU to the next level for at least the next two years so I guess the Intel vs AMD is an academic question at best.

ari1717

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2014
It looks like his surge protector was defeated a long time ago. ari1717, buy yourself a GOOD primary surge protector. You're in India and you'll need it. Check this one out:

APC 8-Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip (P8U2)

apc_p8u2_surgearrest_8_outlet_surge_protector_1219812.jpg
Thanks I was about to ask for suggestions for a good surge protector. I'll be sure to pick this one up from Amazon.

ari1717

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2014
Definitely replace the PSU! It is permanently damaged after what you described.

I recently got the RM750x and highly recommend it.
Previously, I used an old BFG 800W that I've had for 11 years. It started to give some unnerving coil whine once I got my Vega64 so I decided to get the RM750x. It's quiet as a mouse. At least now all I hear is the blower on my Vega64.
Thanks yes the RM 750x was on my mind (though I'd probably have gone with a Vengeance since the RM is a bit above my budget). I was a bit suspicious about going Corsair again but if the Antec one hadn't been available I'd have gone Corsair I guess. A friend of my recently got the 750x and I can testify that the whole thing is very quiet. No engine revving up feel here haha!

APC is ok, good even, depending on the SPECIFIC model of surge protector.

Years of experience using PC systems and having to diagnose bushels full of issues that a high number of ended up being faults with the circuitry inside the power strips. Primarily, cheap box store models but also a good number of supposedly premium power strip "surge protectors" that don't actually protect you from anything other than your own fear of what might happen if you actually end up needing a surge protector. A false sense of security.

Most people buy and use power strips because they THINK that the fact it says surge protector means something. Usually, it doesn't. This is one of my favorite quotes on the subject from an electrical engineer and residential/commercial electrical journeyman I know.

Buy a good one, but understand expensive does not equal good.

"Monster" brand are the low end junk that are sold for a premium price. Look for what us professionals use. Tripp-lite is one of my go to absolute favorites as they have a price to quality mix that is exceptional. The Belkin brand is junk as far as I am concerned as they focus on how it looks and not how it works. APC is also another one that I will trust , but they mostly cater to data centers and Corporate.

Lastly, if you really care about your electronics, get a Whole house surge suppressor installed in your electrical panel. Only a few hundred bucks and it protects everything including the overpriced LED lightbulbs that is all the rage these days.

APC, Tripp-Lite, Leviton, Eaton, Leviton, General Electric, Polyphaser, Ditek, Siemens, ABB, Square D, Intermatic, Cutler-Hammer (Eaton), and Syscom, these are the brands you can trust to have high quality internal electronics if you MUST use a power strip. Do not however use a power strip thinking that it offers significant protection, because even the best of them does not, not really. Whole house protection is the only real protection from surges.

Monster and Belkin, and a few others that are commonly used, almost unilaterally use the same protections in their 45 dollar surge protector strips as what you would find in an 8 dollar Amazon or Walmart branded model. And if you ever take one of these, or any cheap box store, dollar store (Even worse than these others usually BUT occasionally about the same) or Harbor Freight power strip apart you are likely to find frayed wires, poorly soldered connections with blobs of solder nearly touching crucial and potential short circuit points, super low quality MOVs, and a ton of other indicators that no real integrity was involved in the design or manufacturer of these units.

Another factor to keep in mind is that even with some of these high quality units, any protection that MIGHT be afforded, is usually the end of that product after one shot. This, directly from the Tripp-Lite manual for the #1 selling surge protection power strip in the world.

All models feature an internal protection that will disconnect the surge-protective component at the end of its useful life but will maintain power to the load now unprotected.

I believe many models from APC and a couple of the others I listed have now incorporated designs that permanently disengage any ability of the device to deliver power once a surge or short of significant enough caliber to incur the protection has occured. That basically means once there has been a surge or short, throw the device away. Even for high end models. Only whole house protection and properly earthed circuits offer any true protection from a serious surge or direct strike from lightning somewhere close enough to affect your segment of the grid.

And whatever you do, don't EVER buy any kind of extension cord, power strip or other electronic device with slip rings.

Reactions: ari1717 and LWFG001
I don't know why you guys can't see it, but to me it seems pretty clear that looking at the top left pin in the PSU, it is half gone, and looking at the PSU cable, it sure as heck looks like the half that's gone is right there in the end of the cable. I can see no way that anybody would even consider trying to use this unit going forward, unless they simply enjoy fireworks enough to overlook the potential for an unplanned weenie roast.
i agree.replace the fricken psu.

Last edited by a moderator: