[SOLVED] PSU plug/prong melted. What should I do ?

ari1717

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2014
I am running a Corsair VS650 PSU for the last four years. A couple of cords simply stopped working but the PSU never gave any issues. Fast forward to today. After around 6 hours of Destiny 2 (AMD 2600+Nvidia 2060 FE) there was a sudden crackling sound and the display went blank. (monitor was still on)

Smelling burnt rubber, I turned off all power to the system. Pulled out the PSU plug cord and one of the ends had melted. The corresponding print on the PSU socket was damaged.

Idiot that I am, I promptly plugged in my printer power cord (same three prong end) and turned on the system. Crackling sound! Poof! White smoke and the system turns on for a moment then shuts down.

From what I've read, it's either due to a faulty cord or a poor PSU. Replacing the cord is a given (it was a generic INR 250 cord~ $3.50). Should I replace the PSU as well (since it's probably out of warranty) ? If yes, which model should I go for ? Or should I go for repairs ?

Also, please tell me the rest of the system is okay ? There doesn't seem to be any visible burns on any area apart from the PSU socket.

Any help getting me out of this belated Halloween horror will be greatly appreciated.

Image of the disaster : View: http://imgur.com/a/eleWKEU

Solution
Looking at whats available on that website, the 750w Antec Earthwatts Gold pro is probably the best option for the money. However, if you want to save a few bucks, this, is a really decent unit and would save you a few bucks. It has plenty of capacity for your configuration and is a better than average quality unit. Reviews of the Vengeance models are quite good actually. Better than the CX and CXm units from what I've seen and read.

https://mdcomputers.in/corsair-veng...lar-cp-9020175-uk.html?sort=p.price&order=ASC
I am running a Corsair VS650 PSU for the last four years. A couple of cords simply stopped working but the PSU never gave any issues. Fast forward to today. After around 6 hours of Destiny 2 (AMD 2600+Nvidia 2060 FE) there was a sudden crackling sound and the display went blank. (monitor was still on)

Smelling burnt rubber, I turned off all power to the system. Pulled out the PSU plug cord and one of the ends had melted. The corresponding print on the PSU socket was damaged.

Idiot that I am, I promptly plugged in my printer power cord (same three prong end) and turned on the system. Crackling sound! Poof! White smoke and the system turns on for a moment then shuts down.

From what I've read, it's either due to a faulty cord or a poor PSU. Replacing the cord is a given (it was a generic INR 250 cord~ $3.50). Should I replace the PSU as well (since it's probably out of warranty) ? If yes, which model should I go for ? Or should I go for repairs ?

Also, please tell me the rest of the system is okay ? There doesn't seem to be any visible burns on any area apart from the PSU socket.

Any help getting me out of this belated Halloween horror will be greatly appreciated.

Image of the disaster : View: http://imgur.com/a/eleWKEU

Holy crap! I have never seen that before.

ari1717

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2014
I have never seen that before.

Given that this is a 4 year old vs, it should not have been powering a 2060 anyhow.

What is your budget for a replacement?
Yeah I'd planned on replacing it sometime after Christmas but it decided to excuse itself. :'( I don't really have a budget since this is unplanned.

That said, ~$130-175 would be a the ballpark with semi modular and 80 Plus bronze being the floor as far as preferences are concerned.

That's not the PSUs fault.

Why are you using a generic power cord when the PSU should have come with a power cord? (or didn't it??)

Power cords come with different gauge wire, different materials for the contacts and even different flammability ratings and even different melting points.

The PSU might be fine, but you're going to need to clean all of that ** off of the contacts before you can use another power cord.

It may not be the fault of the PSU, but that PSU seems to be one of the victims.
Looking at the original pic, the leftmost pin seems to be partially melted.

Hence my replacement comment.

Melted steel? I suppose it's possible. I just thought it had a lot of gunk built up on it.

@ari1717 : What do those pins in the PSU look like? Did the pin actually melt or just the plastic around them?

I don't know why you guys can't see it, but to me it seems pretty clear that looking at the top left pin in the PSU, it is half gone, and looking at the PSU cable, it sure as heck looks like the half that's gone is right there in the end of the cable. I can see no way that anybody would even consider trying to use this unit going forward, unless they simply enjoy fireworks enough to overlook the potential for an unplanned weenie roast.

Last edited:
Reactions: aldan

ari1717

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2014
I really have very limited knowledge about the electrical components involved. If it helps, I clicked a couple of photos in the morning.

Also, there seems to be some liquid ish green gunk that wasn't there when the burnt part looked yellow. Some drops of greenish "stuff" are also lying around.

I don't think there's anyone in my region who can replace the damaged parts short of doing a full RMA. And it's out of warranty so I guess going for a new unit would be a better option ? What I'm really concerned about is the other components (motherboard, GPU etc).

View: http://imgur.com/gallery/iH6TLEQ

ari1717

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2014
Melted steel? I suppose it's possible. I just thought it had a lot of gunk built up on it.

@ari1717 : What do those pins in the PSU look like? Did the pin actually melt or just the plastic around them?
The left one seems to be shorter and copper colored while the other two appear normal (see my new photos). Sorry if I sound like a klutz but I know very little about plugs and electrical components.

LWFG001

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017
IGN's "The Best Power Supply 2019: Reliable PSUs for Your Gaming PCs": https://www.ign.com/articles/the-best-power-supplies-for-your-gaming-pc

I like the Corsair RM 750x for about a hundred dollars.

51EN0dCedpL.jpg

P.S. Once knocked over a glass of water onto a surge protector and it started shooting sparks like a firework on the fourth of July. It was on the carpet. I pulled it from the wall and took the smoking thing out and tossed it on the driveway until morning. Close call. Bought two 10 year lithium smoke detectors the next day for my space. I don't want to die in a fire!

ari1717

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2014
That's not the PSUs fault.

Why are you using a generic power cord when the PSU should have come with a power cord? (or didn't it??)

Power cords come with different gauge wire, different materials for the contacts and even different flammability ratings and even different melting points.

The PSU might be fine, but you're going to need to clean all of that ** off of the contacts before you can use another power cord.
Well there's a bit of ancient history in there. Originally it came with a plug that wouldn't fit the wall socket here. So I got a spike guard power strip that was "recommended" by the store.

Two months later, the pike guard died and so did the cord. Died would be wrong - it would produce crackling sounds and small Sparks. The sparks were pretty.

Two more power cords have died in the past three years. This one in the picture is the fourth.

ari1717

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2014
IGN's "The Best Power Supply 2019: Reliable PSUs for Your Gaming PCs": https://www.ign.com/articles/the-best-power-supplies-for-your-gaming-pc

I like the Corsair RM 750x for about a hundred dollars.

51EN0dCedpL.jpg

P.S. Once knocked over a glass of water onto a surge protector and it started shooting sparks like a firework on the fourth of July. It was on the carpet. I pulled it from the wall and took the smoking thing out and tossed it on the driveway until morning. Close call. Bought two 10 year lithium smoke detectors the next day for my space. I don't want to die in a fire!
Thanks! Though should I trust Corsair again ? Though it's probably not the PSU's fault. I am looking at the Antec Earthworks 80 Gold 750W unit. Or the Seasonic S12II 620W, though it's supposed to be rather dated from the posts I've read.

Reactions: LWFG001

ari1717

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2014
What country are you in?

What can you afford to pay for a decent power supply?
I'm in India. I've zeroed in to these two -

https://mdcomputers.in/antec-750-watt-80-plus-gold-semi-modular-earthwatts-gold-pro-750w.html

https://mdcomputers.in/seasonic-s12ii-620-watt-80-plus-bronze-ss-620gb.html?search=Seasonic

I'm a bit distrustful about Corsair but that's about all I know. My budget is in the INR 7000-10000 category (sorry for my earlier incorrect conversion into dollars).

LWFG001

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017
Thanks! Though should I trust Corsair again ? Though it's probably not the PSU's fault. I am looking at the Antec Earthworks 80 Gold 750W unit. Or the Seasonic S12II 620W, though it's supposed to be rather dated from the posts I've read.

I use Corsair cases and power supplies, love them. But get what works for your needs and preferences. Make sure you have a great surge protector, use the correct power cord, and don't overload the wall sockets (e.g. wall electrical circuit). Like the others, I've never seen that before. That cord is fried! That PSU is fried!