Question PSU POPPED (COOLER MASTER MWE GOLD 750W)

Dec 21, 2020
If any of you has any knowledge about this please share. I have just bought the PSU model listed in the title and have been using it for 5 days. Today when i went and powered on my PC there was a loud bang and spark of electrixity (I'm not sure of the exact location of where on the PSU the spark was. The room was instantly dark because the breaker went out but I'm pretty sure it was close to the power chord. There was no strange smell). Pretty sure its dead now because it wouldnt turn back on. I tested it out on a different outlet. I then hooked up the computer to a different psu (cooler master 400w) motherboard (ROG B550 F GAMING) cpu (r5 5600x) and GPU (gtx 1650) which is getting an upgrade therefore the powersupply i bought has 750w. The computer booted from the m.2 on the board so all of those parts are still working fine. I haven't pluged in my SATA (a littlle old and trusty 1TB HDD and a 240GB SSD from Kingston) drives which i don't know if would make a difference. All i want to know is why and how this could happen as my old PC which had a pretty crappy 600W PSU from Chieftec caused me no problems whatsoever. It shared the same outled with an LED light and my monitor. Once again i don't know if the issue was in the power supply or the outlet/cable.
If I plug in a new PSU i just ordered (ASUS ROG 750w) can a simmilar occurance happen and kill the new psu as well. I don't have money to spend and i really need to be certain before I test stuff out.

Edit: The power supply looks intact. Cant see anything burnt or busted. It just wont power back on.

Thanks
Zako4

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020
@Djoza Yes. Amazon has already aprooved of my refund and I'm sending it back sometime this week.

As I said my only concern is the new psu failing as well. I will have the outlet checked tomorrow with a volt and amp meter and see if all contacts are okay but im pretty sure its working fine. I pluged in several devices to test it. Its true none of them were as demanding as the psu but I'm pretty sure the PSU doesnt need a lot durring boot. I guess it was just the psu. I've seen quite some threads on the same model having some issues. Hope the new one fixes my problem because i finaly bought a decent system and i put a lot of work into building it. Some games also werent launching and my pc restarted when i tried to launch them so i troubleshot that for two days and a BIOS update solved it. When the psu failed i actually couldn't believe my luck. The only thing i changed from when i last turned it on was i swapped an hdmi cable for a DP for one of my monitors but I'm pretty sure that wasn't a part of this problem.

@Djoza Yes. Amazon has already aprooved of my refund and I'm sending it back sometime this week.

As I said my only concern is the new psu failing as well. I will have the outlet checked tomorrow with a volt and amp meter and see if all contacts are okay but im pretty sure its working fine. I pluged in several devices to test it. Its true none of them were as demanding as the psu but I'm pretty sure the PSU doesnt need a lot durring boot. I guess it was just the psu. I've seen quite some threads on the same model having some issues. Hope the new one fixes my problem because i finaly bought a decent system and i put a lot of work into building it. Some games also werent launching and my pc restarted when i tried to launch them so i troubleshot that for two days and a BIOS update solved it. When the psu failed i actually couldn't believe my luck. The only thing i changed from when i last turned it on was i swapped an hdmi cable for a DP for one of my monitors but I'm pretty sure that wasn't a part of this problem.
Hope the new psu is working fine!