Question Psu Popped.

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
I was trying it on my MSI 7513 Motherboard nothing else connected and just popped i turned it off straight away i did not smell burning.I must admit every so often i do hear popping, i have a bug problem and wondered if that could be a bug being popped.I can't see any burning or a smell of burning.I did turn it off straight away.Can you tell me if i should plug the PSU to the mains to see if that is the problem is that a good idea?Bearing in mind i don't want the power to go off or burn the place down.The thing is the fan was not spinning.

Last edited:

DavidM012

Distinguished
The popping noise may be due to an insulation failure on a torodial coil (inductor loop)- reddit - there's nothing you can do so there's no point. Chuck

Plugging into the mains cannot return any useful diagnostic data. If you could test the outputs with a multimeter you still couldn't fix it. Shorting a green wire to any black wire (ground) will switch it on but I would use something that has insulation where you grip it so a length of wire from somewhere rather than a paperclip and then so what if you don't know the outputs are good plugging it into a mobo won't help you either.

power supplies can be fixed/refurbed by technicians who know how to discharge the residual power but that isn't you, today, now. die another day for the sake of $100.

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
The popping noise may be due to an insulation failure on a torodial coil (inductor loop)- reddit - there's nothing you can do so there's no point. Chuck

Plugging into the mains cannot return any useful diagnostic data. If you could test the outputs with a multimeter you still couldn't fix it. Shorting a green wire to any black wire (ground) will switch it on but I would use something that has insulation where you grip it so a length of wire from somewhere rather than a paperclip and then so what if you don't know the outputs are good plugging it into a mobo won't help you either.

power supplies can be fixed/refurbed by technicians who know how to discharge the residual power but that isn't you, today, now. die another day for the sake of $100.
I just tried it came up with a blue flash then a pop.It only cost me £4 at the local flea market CTI it had a sticker giving the year of it 2014 .I will Chuck it now ,you win some and lose some ,i did get a old Dell Pc for the same price at the same place that is working.:)It does not look like anything has blown but something must have.I got a MsI 7513 motherboard from the same market i don,t know weather that is working, or if it caused the problem with the PSU.The red light on it was working but nothing else the fab never span.As it was a no name brand any way only cost £4.Thanks your informative answer.:)

DavidM012

Distinguished
socket Lga 775 ceased production in 2011 here's a link to a manual for it most you could have on it a core 2 quad cpu with ddr3 1333 memory. I'd be shocked if you could do anything useful with it these days it's from the windows xp-windows 7 era.

Might be possible to even install 10 on it, probably no nvme support but a sata 3 ssd should work on it so with 8-16gb of memory and a sata ssd it might be just about zippy enough for windows 10 to run and some old games if it does not have any faults you'd still be looking at money to test it and that would be frittering dollars that could go towards something vastly superior. When have mobo still need CPU, MEM, Power Supply, GPU, drive(s) and Case.

The PSU was most likely dud from the market I doubt the mobo could possibly cause it to spontaneously have an arcing problem with an inductor but overcurrent from the psu could potentially dmg mobo if it weren't already, bit of a maybe/maybe didn't, well it isn't a build I would pursue anyway gosh we are really talking about this

there's a world outside of windows and it's a world of dread and fear have a happy an a merry boxing day new year horrorday season. :)

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
In another thread on here i was talking about my PSU popin and then blowing up. :( .Could something on the motherboard case a PSU to pop or blow up?:(.Or is just to do with a bad PSU.?First time i tried it i just had a one 4pin in the 12 v rail it takes 2 x4 pins, apart from the orange light in the case nothing else was working no led,s on the front or any fans spinning.all the front panal panal conecters were connected the right way. Can a core 2duo MSI 7513 with a 8 pin conecter work with just a one 4 pin?.When i connected the 2 x 4 that is when the PSU Poped ,at that time nothing else was connected to the Motherboard just the PSU.The thing is the 2 x4 are very hard to get in there right at the top of the Motherboard. The thing is i don,t know if the Motherboard is toast i bought it at a bootfair same as the the dodge PSU.The PSU did work on two of my PC,s just before i tested it on my Motherboard.

DavidM012

Distinguished
said it was a $4 no name psu from a flea market it was probably already broke someone threw it in a box and put the box on a stand in the market.

So when you say you tried it on the motherboard

do you actually mean you had assembled a complete system with cpu, memory, gpu & drive? Or were you just trying to switch on the power supply or something?

My understanding of connectors is, if it's an 8 pin use an 8 pin and if it's a 4 pin use a 4 pin no ifs or buts or questions. Msi produced some boards that had a 4 pin and an 8 pin where the 4 pin was for extra support so 12 pins in all, for overclocking or later gen cpus (that never would exist). Bit overbuilt sometimes for who knows what might happen.

If you had some metal artifact like a loose screw in the case shorting components of the mobo or a standoff in the wrong place shorting the mobo, the psu would go more than 'Pop' it would go 'bang' and shut off and never switch on again. If the board itself has a physical defect causing a short circuit, it would probably go bang also.

Hard to get in there well sometimes improperly inserted connectors could cause a problem sure it was the right connector keyed to the slot? This unknown power supply might've had a similar looking 8 pin which isn't keyed to the socket or if it is in fact the correct connector it just killed itself for being naff.

What cpu do you have installed? Lga 775 cpus vary wildly in tdp and power needs. Some draw more power than others.

If it was that It was probably due to the power supply's lack of overcurrent or short circuit protections, being old, of insufficient wattage capacity or just plain poor quality.

Are you driving at, so does my system still work after a PSU died, well maybe, maybe not. I have an fx sabertooth from about the same era and I blew up two power supplies on it that were poor quality and the board and all it's components survived and it's still going years later. Is my experience a warranty of your board? No. Maybe it's still ok maybe it's not.

Was the Mobo ever ok either? Well nobody canny would ever use anything but a good quality power supply backed by a solid warranty ever for anything.

Also looked at the q9650 on cpu-z heavily overclocked on a Asus pq-5 pro mobo it could beat an fx 8350 so if you had a pci-e 3.0 gpu like a 1060 or 1660 super that you didn't mind running at pci-e 2.0 you could run the Witcher 3 at 1080p high settings 60fps direct x 11 maybe could switch on ray tracing with direct x 12 with a 1660 super but it's not a high end ray tracing card either.

Whereas Technical city tells a different story it is under the minimum requirements for 1080p on witcher 3 at default settings.

Don't know if your MSI is an overclocking board either. Not many hits on a search result, only 1, that manual.

So at default, my fx can run witcher 3 hunt on directx 11 60fps 1080p med/hi settings and no ray tracing while directx 12 drags the fps to about 47 and I have to use dsr factors because my monitor is 20inch 900p.

Witcherses two! Walk no further! This mountain trolly mountain. because are off trollys.

You need a quality power supply and quality cooler to overclock anyway and then well it's not clear that you could put a modern gpu in pci-e slot without frying it even if it should be backwards compatible the boards from that era did not like power hungry gpus either so something with a very conservative power draw like an rx 6600 might work in it.

Fair point? You know it's cheap /old/ obsolete so you simply can't expect it to perform like a whatever is expensive hi end thing these days.

Reactions: Wishbone1

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
said it was a $4 no name psu from a flea market it was probably already broke someone threw it in a box and put the box on a stand in the market.

So when you say you tried it on the motherboard

do you actually mean you had assembled a complete system with cpu, memory, gpu & drive? Or were you just trying to switch on the power supply or something?

My understanding of connectors is, if it's an 8 pin use an 8 pin and if it's a 4 pin use a 4 pin no ifs or buts or questions. Msi produced some boards that had a 4 pin and an 8 pin where the 4 pin was for extra support so 12 pins in all, for overclocking or later gen cpus (that never would exist). Bit overbuilt sometimes for who knows what might happen.

If you had some metal artifact like a loose screw in the case shorting components of the mobo or a standoff in the wrong place shorting the mobo, the psu would go more than 'Pop' it would go 'bang' and shut off and never switch on again. If the board itself has a physical defect causing a short circuit, it would probably go bang also.

Hard to get in there well sometimes improperly inserted connectors could cause a problem sure it was the right connector keyed to the slot? This unknown power supply might've had a similar looking 8 pin which isn't keyed to the socket or if it is in fact the correct connector it just killed itself for being naff.

What cpu do you have installed? Lga 775 cpus vary wildly in tdp and power needs. Some draw more power than others.

If it was that It was probably due to the power supply's lack of overcurrent or short circuit protections, being old, of insufficient wattage capacity or just plain poor quality.

Are you driving at, so does my system still work after a PSU died, well maybe, maybe not. I have an fx sabertooth from about the same era and I blew up two power supplies on it that were poor quality and the board and all it's components survived and it's still going years later. Is my experience a warranty of your board? No. Maybe it's still ok maybe it's not.

Was the Mobo ever ok either? Well nobody canny would ever use anything but a good quality power supply backed by a solid warranty ever for anything.

Also looked at the q9650 on cpu-z heavily overclocked on a Asus pq-5 pro mobo it could beat an fx 8350 so if you had a pci-e 3.0 gpu like a 1060 or 1660 super that you didn't mind running at pci-e 2.0 you could run the Witcher 3 at 1080p high settings 60fps direct x 11 maybe could switch on ray tracing with direct x 12 with a 1660 super but it's not a high end ray tracing card either.

Whereas Technical city tells a different story it is under the minimum requirements for 1080p on witcher 3 at default settings.

Don't know if your MSI is an overclocking board either. Not many hits on a search result, only 1, that manual.

So at default, my fx can run witcher 3 hunt on directx 11 60fps 1080p med/hi settings and no ray tracing while directx 12 drags the fps to about 47 and I have to use dsr factors because my monitor is 20inch 900p.

Witcherses two! Walk no further! This mountain trolly mountain. because are off trollys.

You need a quality power supply and quality cooler to overclock anyway and then well it's not clear that you could put a modern gpu in pci-e slot without frying it even if it should be backwards compatible the boards from that era did not like power hungry gpus either so something with a very conservative power draw like an rx 6600 might work in it.

Fair point? You know it's cheap /old/ obsolete so you simply can't expect it to perform like a whatever is expensive hi end thing these days.
No it worked on two of my PC,s so it did work .before .First off i connected everything but a hard drive but only connected one 4 pin on the 12 volt ,apart from the orange light in the case nothing else worked no fans spinning not even the Led,s in the front of the case.The second time i tried it i just had the PSU connected and this time the 2x4 connected and that is when i heard the pop.I had to take the Motherboard out of the case to connect the 2x4 pins.I did not screw the motherboard down. Third time i just plugged the PSU in to the mains it poped and i saw a blue flash.I would also like to saw the Heatsink fan with those nasty plastic pins broke pff .I saw a video on youtube where a guy took the Plastic pins off and used screws which is what i did after buying a back plate that was a hell of a job to do so the thermal grease could have moved off the CPU because i had to keep moving heatsink fan to fit the screws in.There might have been a short because i did not screw the motherboard down.What does it mean if only the light in the case works?.Surly if all the Power headers are connected the Leds on the front of the case should work?I am thinking that could be the motherboard not working properly?

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
socket Lga 775 ceased production in 2011 here's a link to a manual for it most you could have on it a core 2 quad cpu with ddr3 1333 memory. I'd be shocked if you could do anything useful with it these days it's from the windows xp-windows 7 era.

Might be possible to even install 10 on it, probably no nvme support but a sata 3 ssd should work on it so with 8-16gb of memory and a sata ssd it might be just about zippy enough for windows 10 to run and some old games if it does not have any faults you'd still be looking at money to test it and that would be frittering dollars that could go towards something vastly superior. When have mobo still need CPU, MEM, Power Supply, GPU, drive(s) and Case.

The PSU was most likely dud from the market I doubt the mobo could possibly cause it to spontaneously have an arcing problem with an inductor but overcurrent from the psu could potentially dmg mobo if it weren't already, bit of a maybe/maybe didn't, well it isn't a build I would pursue anyway gosh we are really talking about this

there's a world outside of windows and it's a world of dread and fear have a happy an a merry boxing day new year horrorday season. :)
The thing is i just want to build my first PC,i know it is outdated.As i got the Motherboard for £5 i was hoping to start off with that.I had no idea there would be so many problems to get it to work:(.I do know all the stuff you have to know to build a PC thanks to youtube. :)But i want to build a basic system before i go on to more modern stuff.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Well it isn't hard to get components it's hard to get components at the prices you're looking at. If the power supply was good when you bought it, it should not have popped if you simply plugged it in to the mobo.

You haven't said what cpu you're using dunno what you mean sawing off nasty little plastic pins of a heatsink fan anyway you will need a good new power supply for it and a good new cooler for it and what those may be what I do when considering purchases is read reviews of anything before I buy it.

The best cpu you can put in it right now is the quad core q9650 and they don't go for a $5 in a flea market they go for $100 on ebay despite being out of warranty and obsolete which puts you in a dilemma. Not a great gamble if you aren't sure mobo is working. A dual core 4 thread cpu of a lesser calibre simply won't have any guts at all to do anything with. Besides that it's unclear if the mobo is an overclocking board anyway and there doesn't seem to be a lot of documentation unless maybe you can search forums for info about it.

You really should just buy stuff you don't have to mod well in my world I have to buy things I want and if you find stuff in garage sales that work for $5 that's just luck, which you can't take for granted. In my theory of the world anything useful is most likely in use and anything rubbish is dumped & they don't have computer jumble sales.

If you see a computer case in the street leave it - it's broken, obsolete and someone chucked it. Sometimes trash is just trash rather than one person's trash being another's treasure.

Staking out the bargain bin/repacked warehouse is probably the lowest grade shopping you can do. Last time I went to a computer fair I saw a bunch of old 2gb ide drives going in a box for£20 apiece and that was 20 years ago and I never went to another one. crud on the shelf for that money waste of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wishbone1

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
Well it isn't hard to get components it's hard to get components at the prices you're looking at. If the power supply was good when you bought it, it should not have popped if you simply plugged it in to the mobo.

You haven't said what cpu you're using dunno what you mean sawing off nasty little plastic pins of a heatsink fan anyway you will need a good new power supply for it and a good new cooler for it and what those may be what I do when considering purchases is read reviews of anything before I buy it.

The best cpu you can put in it right now is the quad core q9650 and they don't go for a $5 in a flea market they go for $100 on ebay despite being out of warranty and obsolete which puts you in a dilemma. Not a great gamble if you aren't sure mobo is working. A dual core 4 thread cpu of a lesser calibre simply won't have any guts at all to do anything with. Besides that it's unclear if the mobo is an overclocking board anyway and there doesn't seem to be a lot of documentation unless maybe you can search forums for info about it.

You really should just buy stuff you don't have to mod well in my world I have to buy things I want and if you find stuff in garage sales that work for $5 that's just luck, which you can't take for granted. In my theory of the world anything useful is most likely in use and anything rubbish is dumped & they don't have computer jumble sales.

If you see a computer case in the street leave it - it's broken, obsolete and someone chucked it. Sometimes trash is just trash rather than one person's trash being another's treasure.

Staking out the bargain bin/repacked warehouse is probably the lowest grade shopping you can do. Last time I went to a computer fair I saw a bunch of old 2gb ide drives going in a box for£20 apiece and that was 20 years ago and I never went to another one. crud on the shelf for that money waste of time.
I see what your getting at.I did think about going to a computer fair,Some people do find good stuff that has been chucked out.And Clint (LGR)does find good stuff in goodwill stores in his excellent Thrifts youtube serious. :)I don,t think he has done any since moving in to his new house.

Last edited: