PSU - possible repair ?

emohawk11

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
I've an OCZ 600W PSU - no voltage output from the gray ATX wire when plugged into the motheroboard. All other cables have the correct outputs within tolerance.

I've already bought a new Corsair supply and have the PC up and running, but seems a shame to bin the PSU. Is a repair cost effective and worthwhile doing so I have a spare PSU ? what is the failure likely to be?

You should not get a voltage reading from the gray wire, it is the PWR_OK lead. This guide explains about the various connectors used and the voltages of the wires http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html
While repair of a PSU is not recommended (it can be dangerous), sometimes it is possible to do easily. But proper diagnosis of the cause of malfunction is important and something we cannot do from a forum

emohawk11

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Sorry but YES you SHOULD get a 5V from the gray wire when plugged into the motherboard to tell the CPU and other motherboard components to boot up and that the PSU has passed its startup checks OK. that's why its called the PWR_OK cable! speaks for itself. If the power is NOT OK, no voltage supplied to the motherboard and no POST. It is so that unreliable voltages do not reach your PC components if the PSU goes faulty.

Thank you for the other answers, the PSU has been unplugged for a week so I thought the capacitors would be empty by now, but I wont risk a look or repair like you say, even if it means having a spare in future.

emohawk11

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Forgot to mention, OCZ PSU ordered July 2009 so its lasted a little over 4 years. Not great IMO for what is supposed to be a leading brand. I don't even leave my PC on that much!