Question PSU possibly too weak?

ChristianO

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
I'm repairing a build for someone and noticed there is a 450w Bronze EVGA PSU (a low quality PSU) and that seems low seeing that the recommended for the GPU is a 550w+. The system is a little on the louder side when under load, maybe just the choice of fans and the GPU.

There aren't really any issues when gaming at ultra / max. I've been able to test and use the system with multiple games and have had good results with most above 60fps and consistent. I've noticed no over heating and there have been no random power off / blue screens giving me any sort of error.

Here are some of the game results without FPS counters because that wasn't an issue:

Shadow of the tomb raider on ultra - no issues

Apex Legends on max - Some screen tearing and visual lag (possibly caused by vsync)

Overwatch on ultra - absolutely no issues

Here is the part-list:
  • Ryzen 5 2600
  • Red Devil RX 580
  • 2 TB HDD
  • 256 SSD
  • 3 total fans all with LEDs

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Rx580 will pull as much as 240w in some models, looking more at an average of 225w. That's just the gpu. Everything else can pull 200w if taxed. So realistically you are under the wattage, by a hair, but that's on a really cheap psu. It's not a matter of if the psu will eventually kick the bucket, but when.

ChristianO

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
Rx580 will pull as much as 240w in some models, looking more at an average of 225w. That's just the gpu. Everything else can pull 200w if taxed. So realistically you are under the wattage, by a hair, but that's on a really cheap psu. It's not a matter of if the psu will eventually kick the bucket, but when.
I agree, any recommendations? I am a fan of the Corsair Gold rated 650/750w TXM series.