Question PSU power cable is sparky

Sep 1, 2019
So I built a new PC about a week ago. It's been fine so far but today it made this spark noise and turned off completely. Wouldn't turn back on until I waited a bit and turned the PSU switch off and on again. The power cable of the PSU makes a spark Everytime it moves. And when that happens everything turns off. Is this bad? Probably I guess. So what are my options on dealing with this? And will these random turn offs significantly effect the rest of the computer? I'd rather not buy a new PSU unless the current one is really not functional. PSU is a coolermaster masterwatt 550.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Sparking PSUs should be avoided at all costs. Remove it from the system and don't reuse it.
Is the PSU new? if so, return it.

If it is the masterwatt lite especially, it is fairly poor quality, so ideally an upgrade may be warranted anyway.

Sep 1, 2019

Sparking PSUs should be avoided at all costs. Remove it from the system and don't reuse it.

If it is the masterwatt lite especially, it is fairly poor quality, so ideally an upgrade may be warranted anyway.

Thanks!

Yeah, it is new, I'll return it and get a different one asap then. Thanks for the info.

I don't think the PSU itself is sparking. I think he's just talking about an arcing between the pins of the AC receptacle.

Just sounds like a loose AC cord. Do you have another one you can try?

Reactions: dudio and PC Tailor
Sep 1, 2019
I don't think the PSU itself is sparking. I think he's just talking about an arcing between the pins of the AC receptacle.

Just sounds like a loose AC cord. Do you have another one you can try?

Lol yeah you're right. I had an ac cord from my old pc and used it and the problem was solved. Though still gonna look for potential other better psu's, if I can't find one then I'll just keep this one. Probably looking at Corsair CX PSU or Gigabyte.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Lol yeah you're right. I had an ac cord from my old pc and used it and the problem was solved. Though still gonna look for potential other better psu's, if I can't find one then I'll just keep this one. Probably looking at Corsair CX PSU or Gigabyte.
Good shout.

Just remember brand doesn't always mean good. Corsair CX assuming it's the newer series is decent and excellent value.