Question PSU power cable works on monitor but doesn't work on my PC ?

Nov 19, 2021
so my psu wont jump start when i do the paper clip test. but when i plug in the same power cord from my psu into my monitor it works! so my power cord isn't the problem...im thinking is it my 24pin connectors an all other pc cables (mobo, sata, gpu cables) that are somehow not working? plz help ive been dealing eith this for 2 weeks and i cant figure out why my pc wont turn on.

pc specs:
gigabyte b450 ds3h mobo
radeon rx 5600xt gpu
evga 650ga 80+gold psu (fully modular)

so my psu wont jump start when i do the paper clip test. but when i plug in the same power cord from my psu into my monitor it works! so my power cord is t the problem...im thinking is it my 24pin connectors an all other pc cables (mobo, sata, gpu cables) that are somehow not working? plz help ive been dealing eith this for 2 weeks and i cant figure out why my pc wont turn on.

pc specs:
gigabyte b450 ds3h mobo
radeon rx 5600xt gpu
evga 650ga 80+gold psu (fully modular)

So your power supply is dead.

Reactions: handodat
Nov 19, 2021
Wait... the one it replaced was dead too? Or some other problem? If anyone has two dead PSUs in a row, yo-u HAVE TO suspect something else is wrong.
ya, both my old psu and my replacement were both dead...unless you think it could be something else? should i take my pc to a pc repair shop? i dont know too much about pcs so maybe best to leave it to professionals.

ya, both my old psu and my replacement were both dead...unless you think it could be something else? should i take my pc to a pc repair shop? i dont know too much about pcs so maybe best to leave it to professionals.

Ok... A couple things to check. Are you SURE you're jumpering the correct two wires to "jumpstart" the PSU and are you using the EVGA cables that came with the PSU?

Nov 19, 2021
One of these should have come with each psu,
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=E008-00-000048
wonder why you didn't get these. The psu's used are new?
so sorry so i found the self tester, and the psu fan spins now when not fully plugged into the pc. but same thing happens when i plug all sata gpu etc. cords into the psu, no power to pc and psu fan doesnt spin. so could it maybe be my case power button thats not working?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021
Did you connect the front panel correctly? Recheck and use the manual.
yes, i had left all the origional EVGA cables plugged into my mobo so my wire management in the back would be intact lol so none of the wires were moved or unplugged from the mobo. i also just tried shorting the power on prongs on my mobo and still wont power on. could mobo be the issue?