Question Psu power cord mating cycles

bep1995

Reputable
Sep 25, 2019
Hello !! Can anyone tells me what is the max mating cycles (plug/unplug) for the psu power socket (iec 60320 c14) and power cord (iec 60320 c13). I really can't find anything on the internet.
I hope is at least 100 cycles, cause every time i connect/disconnect something on the motherboard, i remove the power cord from both from power strip and psu itself.
Since i bought my current psu last year (seasonic gx 750) i removed the power cord at least 10-15 times. Still feels snug but I don't want to damage the psu's socket, the cord is cheap and I can replace it easily but psu itself not.

Lutfij

Titan
cause every time i connect/disconnect something on the motherboard, i remove the power cord from both from power strip and psu itself.
Why not just turn off the wall outlet or your power strip instead of pulling out the IEC cable from PSU's end? In fact you can simply disconnect from the power strip and leave the PSU end intact.

Thumb rule with IEC connectors, if they're not snug, it's time to replace them with a better quality cable.

bep1995

Reputable
Sep 25, 2019
I do it that way just to be safe, I also press the power button for 10-15 seconds after unplug the cord to remove any remaining power (power cycle) from the system.
As I say the cord it's still very snug, but I want to know if there is any possibility to damage or loose the psu's socket itself. There are 3 big metal pins inside the socket, can these worn out over time (i.e. 100+ mating cycles), and as result even new power cord will be loose ??

IEC 60320 section 19 requires a minimum of 50 mating cycles at 1.25x the rated current of the receptacle at 275v, and section 20 requires 1000 cycles at 250v and full rated current followed by another 3000 cycles without current. Passing requires no damage or wear that would impair use by the end of all this.