PSU Power Switch Broken?

TJLano

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Hi,

I'm working with someone else who built this computer (somewhat under my direction) and I cannot verify what might have happened, but here's the issue...

The switch on the Power Supply does not seem to cut the power when it is plugged in and in the '0' position. The motherboard retains power whether the switch on the PSU is set to 0 or 1.

Is this a problem with the PSU? Should I RMA it? Is it worth it to RMA it? Would there be other hidden defects if I don't RMA it?

The PSU we're using is a Seasonic 550 RM.

Thank you,
Tim

Solution
If the switch is set ti O it literally is supposed to cut the cord so it's the equivalent of unplugging it from the wall so it seems there is a defect with it.

Also, residual charge is not stored in the motherboard if at all, it's residual energy. Just being very technical here. But that has nothing to do with anything, if the switch is at O your computer should not work.

spat55

Distinguished
Sometimes the PSU will hold the power for a little while. If you press the case power on switch and it boots you have a problem but it should just spin the fans up and switch off when the switch is on 0. You have a decent PSU so that shouldn't be an issue but you never know until they go.

TJLano

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

Thank you for your suggestion!

I am aware of the typical residual charge held within the motherboard, but this is definitely more than that. I was able to fully boot while it was switched to 0. Also, while it was fully powered on, I flipped the switch with no effect. It's basically as if the switch might as well be there for aesthetic purposes...

Worth an RMA or leave it till something happens?

If the switch is set ti O it literally is supposed to cut the cord so it's the equivalent of unplugging it from the wall so it seems there is a defect with it.

Also, residual charge is not stored in the motherboard if at all, it's residual energy. Just being very technical here. But that has nothing to do with anything, if the switch is at O your computer should not work.

Solution

TJLano

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

That is what I suspected. I think I'll just RMA it to be safe. It's a bit of a pain, but better safe than sorry. I don't suspect it could be much else.

Also, you are right, I should have used energy. I wasn't thinking straight in using proper electrical/physics terms.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions everyone.

spat55

Distinguished

Yeah as you can run the PC in the 0 position then it is broken, might be worth RMA'ing just to be safe.