PSU powerful enough

luke1996

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
i have a cooler master 600W PSU and my question is, is it powerful enough to handle an msi hd 7970 and an i5 4570

Traciatim

Distinguished
What Coolermaster PSU do you have? They have a pretty wide range of some ok components to very cheap components. Keep in mind that a 4670k and 7970 are probably not going to use more than about 360 watts at it's peak and will quite regularly be about 340 watts or so, which means a half decent quality 600 watt supply should have plenty of room for that gear.

If you can't find the model of it, at least give the amp ratings on the 3.3, 5, and any +12v numbers on the sticker that's on the side.

IAMEXTREME

Honorable

Coolermaster power supplies are not stellar performers but they may be adequate for your needs.

Corsair and Seasonic are two brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. One example would be the Antec Earthwatts and the Antec TruePower New series which are major improvements over Antec’s older psu’s like the Basiq models.

Traciatim

Distinguished

The main thing you want to worry about is the 12V lines. To figure out your actual rated capacity you multiply the 12 by the A number and that's how many watts is can handle... so in the example I linked it would be:

Yours, each 12v rail can push out up to 264 watts, but combined they can only push out 432 . . . still low for a 600 watt supply, but plenty for your purpose.

I'm going by the spec sheet found here:
http://www.recom.nl/downloads/Recom%20RC-PE600Plus%20Datasheet.pdf