Question PSU problem or GPU coil whine?

Blavikn

Prominent
Oct 30, 2021
For a while now, I've had this strange static noise coming from my PC, I've avoided using it due to the sound.

Today, I tried to diagnose it. Firstly, I cleaned it with compressed air, fans also. I thought it was my case fans but I unplugged each one separately and tested it to see if it was from the fan, it wasn't.

I put my ear next to the PSU, I could hear the fan and the static noise but I can also hear at the top of the case, the front and the rear. It could be the GPU coil whine nut isn't coil whine usually a consistent buzz and not static?

This noise occurs at idle when not playing games also.

Gigabyte GEFORCE RTX3070TI 8 GB
Corsair TXM Gold 750W 80+ Gold Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Lutfij

Titan
Whine isn't always going to be constant. It can happen intermittently depending on the load the components are undergoing. That being said, how old is the Corsair PSU listed above? What GPU were you working with prior to the RTX3070Ti? Did you try relocating your system's power from another outlet in your household?

Blavikn

Prominent
Oct 30, 2021
Whine isn't always going to be constant. It can happen intermittently depending on the load the components are undergoing. That being said, how old is the Corsair PSU listed above? What GPU were you working with prior to the RTX3070Ti? Did you try relocating your system's power from another outlet in your household?

This is my first build, had it a year.

My only concern is I have a strange heat smell, like a musty heat smell. I may take it to a PC shop as i don't want to chance it if its a PSU issue.

Blavikn

Prominent
Oct 30, 2021

Also, I have just loaded cyberpunk. The static clicking Is now a full on whine, tried roll of a paper to pin point noise also.

Blavikn

Prominent
Oct 30, 2021
Lately, I've had this strange static noise coming from my PC, I've avoided using it due to the sound.

Its not the case fans as I've tested then separately, the static noise can be heard from every angle of my case.

I used a toilet roll holder to pinpoint the sound and it sounds loudest near GPU PSU rear of case. The noise when idle is a small static "zzz-z-zz" sound. When I loaded Cyberpunk 2077 to test this the static noise when to a full whine. Is this GPU coil whine?

Gigabyte GEFORCE RTX3070TI 8 GB
Corsair TXM Gold 750W 80+ Gold Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Blavikn

Prominent
Oct 30, 2021
My only concern is I have a strange heat smell, like a musty heat smell.
That's not good, is the smell originating from the PSU? If so, replace the PSU with something higher in wattage and is reliably built.
Smell appears to have gone now, it was coming from top of the case from magnetic dust filters.

As for the coil whine it could be VRM, it comes from ram/cpu section and disappears when changing power plan from to Ryzen balanced to Power saver, Is that coil whine?