PSU problem? Or something else?

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
*sigh*... If I had $100 for every problem I've had with this computer, I could just buy the parts again. This one is almost as bad as the first stick of RAM physically not fitting in the motherboard. (Kingston, by the way)

Okay, I've got a Skyhawk 520w ATX-GM520SC power supply in this computer. I got it because it was half off in a sale on NewEgg.

When I turn the PSU on and turn it back off after a while, there's a slight powerdown type sound. I can't get the computer to boot or do anything though. I'm guessing it's either the PSU or the motherboard. (could I have somehow misswired the front chassis buttons or something!?!)

Oh yeah, the motherboard is a cheap ECS nForce4-A939 board.

I know you guys probably can't make a diagnosis off what I have to give you so far - unless it's some really common problem - so just let me know what you need to know. Like what are some things that would cause a PSU or a motherboard to not boot, or maybe if it's just a plain defective part?

"<i>sometimes i fantasize about gyro.... one day, he will evolve into pure energy and become lord of the universe. he is love.</i>" ~Nater255

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Any help or required information?

"<i>sometimes i fantasize about gyro.... one day, he will evolve into pure energy and become lord of the universe. he is love.</i>" ~Nater255