Question PSU problem? PC sometimes won't boot

smurfORnot

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Some times ago, my PC started to give me problems. If I turn him off, there is good chance that it won't boot on. Basically, I see there is power in him, GPU fans are working, MOBO is glowing and working, but screen is black, and boot won't start. So I have to turn him on and off on button until for some reason boot starts. Sometimes it takes 2-3 tries, sometimes it took 20 tries. sometimes it took few days before it decided to boot.
But when I leave him on standby it turns on normal.

I though my ssd is starting to die on me, so I changed it, put new windows, but apparently problem still exists.

Now, sounds like it could be PSU(I have now at least 5 years old ocz mod extreme 550w psu, 3570k and r9 280x). But then again, maybe it could be mobo?

The OCZ ModXStream 550w watt power supply wasn't all that good a power supply when it was being sold, back in 2011. Since OCZ went bankrupt, you can't count on any type of extended warranty service on it; and, seeing that it's probably close to 8 years old, that is a good item to replace right-off.

Even if it isn't the cause of your troubles (and it likely is) you don't want it to remain to damage new components.

That said, it could be your motherboard, but your best move is to replace the PSU, and see if it clears-up.

If it doesn't, then concluding that the motherboard has been damaged by a gradually failing power supply would be reasonable. At least a new motherboard won't be damaged by a PSU that is on its last leg.

Seasonic make good PSU's
Apart from picking a good brand, the price really dictates what generally is good or not.
550-650W is normally a good solid performer, about $70-120 is a good indicator of quality.
But no matter what one you pick, read Expert Reviews about it, before you buy it. - Not just Amazon 5 star reviews, because these are End Users and not people who have the equipment to run it through proper testing. Like they do at Tom's or Guru3d.

Reactions: AllanGH