Question PSU "Problem"

mirdza83

Reputable
May 12, 2019
Hi guys, i could use some help from you.

So..long story short...
Recently my friend and i bought the same graphic card, ASUS RX570 expedition, from the same guy (used, three months old).
We also have exactly the same hardware( we are good friends ) except for the power supply. He bought brand new LC Power 550w and mine was from the same brand 560W GP3 but 7 years old. I know you all hate LC POWER but i didnt had any problems for this many years until now.

So, shortly after i was getting these black screens, rarely and randomly and only when i played some games. This didnt happened with my old radeon 7850. My friend don't have these problems when he plays the same games so i suspected that my power supply is bad or insufficient. It was already very old so i decided to buy new one. I bought ANTEC NeoEco NE650C and everything is working fine for the moment although i didnt have time to test it in games but i did some basic testing with my multimeter and these are the readings:

LC POWER
Cold test: 11,93v / 3.34v / 5.25v. Mounted and idle: 12.26v, under load 12.07v ( i didn't tested 3.3v and 5v in my pc, sorry)

ANTEC
Mounted and idle: 11,90v, under load 11.85v

So my questions are...

Can the PSU be bad even if voltages are in safe limits?
Did i made mistake by buying the ANTEC? I guess then, that my GPU is bad...
What about the voltages on ANTEC? Should thay be slightly over 12v or is this normal?

Sorry for the long post and thank you...

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Well the GPU you bought takes a lot of power, more than your old one thats why you kept having crashes and such.
Well the new power supply you bought is not the greatest you could've went with a better option to be honest.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Either ways it still could be the power supply that is the issue, your graphic card is a power hungry beast.
Invest more in a good high end power supply because if it fails most of your components will be fried with the motherboard.

mirdza83

Reputable
May 12, 2019
Wow!..I hope that will not come to that.
I think Antec is a reputable brand, even with their midrange PSU's. LC POWER lasted for 7 years and it is still "good" but maybe insufficient for my GPU.

I appreciate your comments but i was asking about the voltages. Are they something i should be concern about? Maybe i can return the PSU if so....

mirdza83

Reputable
May 12, 2019
Guys.. yesterday i had black screeen again, playing metro exodus. I am not sure but at this point i think it's not power supply related (probably gpu). Im starting to lose my mind because of this problem.

So... after some testing (aida64 full stress test, heaven benchmark and 3dmark) i measured voltage fluctuations in HWinfo, aida64 and with my multimeter and i am not impressed with this Antec.

Both programs recorded 11.37v lowest on 12v rail and my multimeter(low quality) showed 11,6v. 3.3v and 5v seems stable. I ran the tests for 2h each and not a single black screen. This happens only in games.

I decided to return the Antec and buy new PSU, just in case. So i would appriciate your comments and recommendations. Seasonic Focus Gold 550w seems ok to me but i am open to any suggestions in that price range (around 100e).

My HW:
MB: Asus B350-f Gaming
Memory: Corsair Vengance 16gb DDR4 3000mhz
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600x
GPU: Asus Expedition RX570 ( i am planing to switch to 1070 and maybe 1080ti in future but i will never have two GPU's on this motherboard so i think 550w psu should be enough)

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
That SeaSonic Focus Gold 550w is a good PSU.

If as you said you're going to have one GPU I'd say a good 550W is OK.

What you have to consider for the future graphics card upgrade/change; is the number of 6+2-pin PCIE power connectors the card would need and the number the PSU has. So that you wouldn't have to change PSU again or to rely on adapters and such.

Reactions: mirdza83