[SOLVED] PSU Problem?

Soranblue

Prominent
Nov 22, 2019
Hi, recently I've noticed that my desktop cooling fans are spinning faster than usual without putting any load on the CPU.
I checked my PC status with Asus AI suite and HWinfo, and I noticed that my 12V rail is reading more than 13 volts !!! But the PC runs fine.
I found out that whenever I connect a USB device like a smartphone to the PC, my 12V increases to 13V. and I get around the situation by unplugging the USB device and power off the PC and unplug the AC cable for a while and turn it back on.

My 1-year-old PC specs are as follow:
  • AMD Ryzen5 2400G without OC
  • Thermaltake Smart RGB 500W
  • ASUS TUF B450-Plus Gaming, with up-to-date BIOS
  • 2X 3.5 HDD + 2X SSD
  • 2X Cooling Fans
I don't know what's causing the PSU to pump more power on The 12V in that particular situation, but I know that the PSU works fine most of the time.

Solution
You said the system is 1 year old... is it Dusty at all? have you cleaned it inside and outside. Dust would certainly cause more fan spinning to keep the same temps.

Soranblue

Prominent
Nov 22, 2019
You said the system is 1 year old... is it Dusty at all? have you cleaned it inside and outside. Dust would certainly cause more fan spinning to keep the same temps.

It's not that dusty, and my temps are normal, and as I said it only happens when I plug USB devices that require more power than a regular USB flash drive.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
It's not that dusty, and my temps are normal, and as I said it only happens when I plug USB devices that require more power than a regular USB flash drive.

ok that is sketchy PSU behavior, its weird though because USB should be drawing from the 5v rail. That said that PSU is not the greatest quality.

1 year in age, have you contacted Thermaltake, I'd expect you have a warranty on it.

Soranblue

Prominent
Nov 22, 2019
ok that is sketchy PSU behavior, its weird though because USB should be drawing from the 5v rail. That said that PSU is not the greatest quality.

1 year in age, have you contacted Thermaltake, I'd expect you have a warranty on it.

I live in the middle east and there isn't a local dealer nearby, its much more affordable for me to buy a new one. I was planning to take the PSU apart and exam it. there might be some faulty capacitors that need to be replaced, but I was hoping to find someone with different PC parts having the same problem to get a general idea and narrow it down.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I live in the middle east and there isn't a local dealer nearby, its much more affordable for me to buy a new one. I was planning to take the PSU apart and exam it. there might be some faulty capacitors that need to be replaced, but I was hoping to find someone with different PC parts having the same problem to get a general idea and narrow it down.

Oh I'm sorry to hear that. I don't recommend taking your PSU apart unless you are experienced with such things, it can be dangerous. Also this behavior seems like its more related to the voltage regulation circuitry than a bad capacitor. A cap would cause stability issues.

Do you have access to maybe a friend's PSU you could borrow to test before spending money?

Soranblue

Prominent
Nov 22, 2019
Oh I'm sorry to hear that. I don't recommend taking your PSU apart unless you are experienced with such things, it can be dangerous. Also this behavior seems like its more related to the voltage regulation circuitry than a bad capacitor. A cap would cause stability issues.

Do you have access to maybe a friend's PSU you could borrow to test before spending money?

I know my way around electronics circuitry and I was hoping to make it my last resort to take the PSU apart and start swapping components.

yeah, I think I can manage to borrow a PSU from a friend to test my system.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I know my way around electronics circuitry and I was hoping to make it my last resort to take the PSU apart and start swapping components.

yeah, I think I can manage to borrow a PSU from a friend to test my system.

Thats your best bet, test another PSU before going to take yours apart. Even with experience, no reason to open it up if its not the issue.

Reactions: Soranblue