Question PSU Problem?

May 7, 2020
So I was planning to replace my PSU anyways since it is a really bad one but only trying to make sure if it is really my PSU or my motherboard. So basically got a new motherboard with a CPU. I was on a budget so I just got a Lenovo IH81M with an i7 4770 and I put in all the other things and put my 24 pin to 14 pin adapter into to it. I tried to power it up but it would not turn on. I tried reinstalling everything but still would not. I automatically assumed there was something wrong with the motherboard. So I got my the motherboard I used before from an HPZ210 with an i5 2400 and installed everything and noticed it wouldn’t turn on either so now I assumed it was the power supply.

I took the PSU out and did the paper clip test and the fan would spin for like half a second then stop then spin for another half second and it kept on going like that for a while until I turned it off. So I still wasn’t 100% sure if it was bad because I have never encountered a problem like that. So I added one of my case fans to add a little load and it was the same result. I was wondering if it was the motherboard or the 24 to 14 pin adapter which made it go bad since it was working perfectly fine beforehand. Maybe it was also the PSU just going bad since it is a really bad PSU ?

PSU: Goldenfield ATX-S728 650W (I was already told it was a bad PSU so I was planning to replace it once I got more money)

GPU: RX 580

OLD MOTHERBOARD AND CPU: HPZ210 with an i5 2400 (used a 24 to 18 pin adapter)

NEW MOTHERBOARD AND CPU: Lenovo IH81M with i7 4770 (used a 24 to 14 pin adapter)

There is no guarantee that the adapter works, because it is missing the 12VSB rail. The easiest way is to test the PSU in another system. Does it work?

Golden field makes good PSUs as well, but since yours isn't listed on 80+ certification, it is likely junk.

Last edited:
"did the paper clip test and the fan would spin for like half a second then stop then spin for another half second and it kept on going like that for a while "

I find this behavior odd....and on top of that you have already said that it's a crappy PSU...and I would bet you are correct.

I would try a better PSU.

May 7, 2020
I put back my motherboard I used before with the 24 pin to 18 pin but it wouldn’t boot up anymore. Though today I am going to a computer repair shop to check the new motherboard with the adapter (24 to 14), ram, hard drive I used