PSU question for Phenom II 955

Arveene

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
I'm working on building my HTPC, and I tried searching and couldn't find much. I have a Thermaltake 500W Purepower PSU, would that be enough for the Phenom II 955.

Other parts include: 3 80mm case fans, 1 WD 500GB Caviar Blue, 1 Blu Ray reader, a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR, A PCI wireless card, and possibly an external hard drive, but most likely I'll stream over my network. The reason for such a high end processor in a HTPC setup is because a lot of the stuff I'll be watching will have issues with playback on DXVA. I don't think it should be an issue, but I'd like to make sure before going ahead with this.

Edit: Mobo is GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-US2H

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
If you're not overclocking, you can remove them all. The PSU should bring in enough air and the open fan slots can vent it out. If you're fine with the noise level already though, do what you want. Its your ears and your power. CPUID makes Hardware monitor that reports all the temps. I'd use that. Unplug all the fans, run the system and see where you're at. If temps are fine, pull them out of the case.