PSU -Question - graphic card underclocking

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Hi guys

I have a 500 watt Psu , 12v -17a :lol:

I think that is pretty crappy for a 500 watt. Am i right .

8800 gts - Games were playing fine but i have less than smooth frame rates in Company of heroes and Ceasar 4 .

I get good frame rates in the beginning, but then as time goes by the performance degrades .

Now i was playing ceasar 4 and suddenly my computer re-booted , 8O

Now please tell me that this is because of the PSU.

I did a reboot and the computer started , but i am not playing anymore as i feel the PSU could screw up my card and computer. :(

so what do you think :? Plus i live in India so we dont get to much choice over here , i was looking at this Psu http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=205&products_id=21150

Which i can get over here its dual rail 12v at 18a . Please share your opinions . Thank you :)

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
I remember you from the nVidia section.

Are you sure it's just one +12 volt rail? It seems very week for a 500 watter. Make sure you don't have a combined +12 volt rating on the PSU, otherwise, the 8800 is probably suffering and your PSU needs a change.

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Well i checked up and it just says 12v 17a and -12v 8a or i think it might be .8a. So that is weak or bad -right ?

If so

What do you think about the PSU i am looking to buy would that be good enough .

thanks

Well i checked up and it just says 12v 17a and -12v 8a or i think it might be .8a. So that is weak or bad -right ?

If so

What do you think about the PSU i am looking to buy would that be good enough .

thanks
I have a 420 watt enemax that pumps 19 amps to the 12 volt rails . I think the 8800gts pulls more than my 1900xt 512mb does. Whats the name of your psu and type

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Its a stupid company called Zebronic's 500 watt Platinum series.

I was running a x1800 gto 256mb before the upgrade , so i would imagine its no where near as good as i would require for a 8800.

What do you think about the PSU i want to get - the extreme power 600 watt SLI certified .

18A-ON DUAL 12v rails .

thanks for reading and your time

Your card draws about 1 amp more than mine. The psu youre looking at doesnt have alot of power per rail, meaning that 18 amps may work, but youll be hampered for any upgrades. Look for something with 20 amps on each 12 volt rail. I know mine just barely gets by, which is equivolent at 18 amps per rail. Your card draws more power so youll need more than 18 amps. Go with a enermax or pc and c or something more upper tier

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Make sure you know the combined amperage with more than one rail. 18a on rail A and 18a on rail B does not equal 36 combined. Probably more like 25a to 28a. If I remember correctly, EVGA recommends 28 amps for your superclocked? It's a good thing to have head room also. Try to find a PSU with 30a or more combined or single railed to be secure.

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
See i am in India , and i dont have much choice .

The one i am getting is almost like the best available :cry:

So while i am stuck in computer hell , there aren't many choices .

I dont think it is possible to ask my sister to get one from the states, as i would imagine that it would be awkward to carry .

so would this one be okay . Also

I have 3000+ AMD venice core 1.35 , 1 dvd , 1dvd-rw.

xfi- live .

cheers :D

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
Pick one out from the top three tiers from the link in my sig. If any of those are not available look to tier 4, but only if any of the upper three tiers aren't available.

BTW don't worry about the -12V rail. It really doesnt matter.