mtracy1991

Reputable
Hi all,

Thanks for giving my post some interest by reading.

Anywho, I have a tower, the Blackhawk Ultra and I can run approximately 20 fans with this case. However, My main question is if I wanted to run multiple Molex connectors, would I be able to connect them into other slots onto the PSU aside from the 1 Peripheral slot? My second question is are there PSUs that possess 1000 Watts and have multiple Peripheral inserts on them?

The Crosshair VII Mobo has 3 slots for fans, which will basically take up my Exhaust in the back, CPU fan, and possibly one of the two 240mm fans at the top.

the remaining fans which consist of 4 front fans, 1 top fan, (2) 240mm fans & (5) 120mm fans on the side panel for intake, & possible a 92mm on the rear, and an additional front 120mm for intake since I will not be utilizing the 5.25 trays. This is a lot and I am trying to describe this the best way possible. Continuing, I have two fan hubs which these will be connected to with molex connectors on them. With having one peripheral slot on my PSU, will I be able to daisy chain both fan hubs into the one PSU slot or will there be an overload? Secondly, would I be able to plug in one of the molex connectors into the PSU aside from the Peripheral slot?

My GPU: https://www.microcenter.com/product...00_Watt_80_Plus_Gold_Modular_ATX_Power_Supply

Any questions to further ease your understanding will be done. I do appreciate your feedback.

Your power supply is likely much stronger than what you need.
The main power consumption will be your graphics card followed by your cpu.
The power for fans is insignificant.
What are your specs? Particularly cpu and graphics cards.
On your psu, you have 4 molex cables and I imagine there are more than one polex connector on eash.
Past that, you can usually daisy chain molex fans similar to what you do with Christmas tree lights.
A fan connected via moles will always run at full speed.

If you have a 3 or 4 pin fan and connect it to the motherboard, that will allow the motherboard to vary the fan speed.

If you installed two or three 140mm front intake fans and perhaps one 120mm rear exhaust fan, My guess is that you would adequately cool your parts

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Crosshair VII has cpu_fan, cpu_opt, 3x cha_fan, and 4 other high-Amp/pump headers.

The Blackhawk has 2x molex powered 3pin hubs that fit 4x fans each.

Cha_fan2 takes care of all 4 of the front intakes by the low mount hub.

Cha_fan1 takes care of the 2x 230mm exhaust and the 140mm exhaust by the top mount hub.

Cpu_fan takes care of whatever you have mounted as a cpu cooler.

Cha_fan3, and any number of the opt/pump headers can take care of any number of side panel intakes (why? You already have enough intake at front)

Reactions: mtracy1991

BobCharlie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
I think I'm running the G2 of your Super Nova. It should be enough. Dunno WHY you would need 20 fans though. Molex connected fans are run at a constant speed, so they'd be better off being used for case ventilation where the actual speed of the fan isn't as important, nor is the temp. Though keep in mind dust can/will be an issue at some point (every 1-3 months) and WILL need periodic cleanings to keep the fans working efficiently (this means gpu, cpu, etc. + vent fans). It IS possible to implement a lower voltage fan speed from them (some fans have a switch to limit them OR you can make something to limit voltage) but I won't go into that.

Don't listen to people advocating a smaller wattage PSU. Most have poor efficiency, and extremely low "constant" ratings (current/amperage) you are lucky to even see if they bother posting in the literature. Better to have too much available for the future or strong peaks than barely enough or not enough. "Max" values are garbage. A "barely there" PSU can boot a PC it's not really geared for (modern TOTL GPU and large core CPU, tons of RAM, etc.) but you WILL run into issues when everything is taxed equally hard (like all cpu cores at high percentage + a fully stressed gpu, etc.) which can cause crashes that point at anything from drivers to other software, erratic bench scores that vary wildly, etc. etc.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Vega64 - 350w
Pc - 200w
Oc - 100w

Realistically that system will run all day long on a good 650w psu, but you'll spend most of its time heavy gaming in 70%ish or higher loads. Not great for thermals or efficiency.
Better would be a 750w-850w. A 1000w psu is definitely doable, but you are getting into very low value for unused wattage.

mtracy1991

Reputable
I think I'm running the G2 of your Super Nova. It should be enough. Dunno WHY you would need 20 fans though. Molex connected fans are run at a constant speed, so they'd be better off being used for case ventilation where the actual speed of the fan isn't as important, nor is the temp. Though keep in mind dust can/will be an issue at some point (every 1-3 months) and WILL need periodic cleanings to keep the fans working efficiently (this means gpu, cpu, etc. + vent fans). It IS possible to implement a lower voltage fan speed from them (some fans have a switch to limit them OR you can make something to limit voltage) but I won't go into that.

Don't listen to people advocating a smaller wattage PSU. Most have poor efficiency, and extremely low "constant" ratings (current/amperage) you are lucky to even see if they bother posting in the literature. Better to have too much available for the future or strong peaks than barely enough or not enough. "Max" values are garbage. A "barely there" PSU can boot a PC it's not really geared for (modern TOTL GPU and large core CPU, tons of RAM, etc.) but you WILL run into issues when everything is taxed equally hard (like all cpu cores at high percentage + a fully stressed gpu, etc.) which can cause crashes that point at anything from drivers to other software, erratic bench scores that vary wildly, etc. etc.

I have the G2 on my current build. Probably going to use the 2 230mm fans on the door with probably 5-6 120mm fans. Just for the fact that my current rig is running a bit hot at the moment. Food for thought is always good knowing I can swap out and put 9 120mms on the door. I'd probably be analyzing my temps and moving forward from there instead of obliviously purchasing unneeded equipment. Also, I never pay much attention to lower wattage PSUs... I always look at the bigger picture. If there is need for an additional GPU or something that will add onto the wattage, then i'll have the room instead of purchasing a larger rated PSU. 1000W PSUs are my standard, even if I spend a few more dollars than a smaller rated version. I do appreciate the information you have provided as I'm not PSU knowledgeable as others. Thanks!

mtracy1991

Reputable
The Crosshair VII has cpu_fan, cpu_opt, 3x cha_fan, and 4 other high-Amp/pump headers.

The Blackhawk has 2x molex powered 3pin hubs that fit 4x fans each.

Cha_fan2 takes care of all 4 of the front intakes by the low mount hub.

Cha_fan1 takes care of the 2x 230mm exhaust and the 140mm exhaust by the top mount hub.

Cpu_fan takes care of whatever you have mounted as a cpu cooler.

Cha_fan3, and any number of the opt/pump headers can take care of any number of side panel intakes (why? You already have enough intake at front)

I appreciate the insight. I was unaware of actually connecting fans into the high-amp/pump header connectors.

mtracy1991

Reputable
I do have one additional question, if I needed a CPU psu cable for my new PSU and my old PSU had one, would I be able to use it? I have done reading online where different vendors had different wiring setups with the connectors.

I do have one additional question, if I needed a CPU psu cable for my new PSU and my old PSU had one, would I be able to use it? I have done reading online where different vendors had different wiring setups with the connectors.
If you are talking about the power cable that goes into a wall outlet, you are ok,, they are standard.
If you are talking about replacing a missing modular lead, no they are not likely to be compatible.
You can usually buy a missing modular cable that fits your unit for not much.