[SOLVED] PSU question

Ray-Briggs

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
i recently got a new 2070 super gpu and im running it with a corsair cx600m psu.its almost 6 years old. its running fine but i read online that this psu should be avoided at all cost, and that its for office use and have a chance to blow up. should i upgrade my psu or am i safe?

Solution
There are instances of that PSU catching fire when it fails.

There are instances of every PSU catching fire when it fails, and the CX600 uses a Sitronix ST9S429 supervisor IC so it does in fact have all of the required protections.

Why do you want to fear monger?

i recently got a new 2070 super gpu and im running it with a corsair cx600m psu.its almost 6 years old. its running fine but i read online that this psu should be avoided at all cost, and that its for office use and have a chance to blow up. should i upgrade my psu or am i safe?

That said, that is a VERY OLD PSU. It uses a double forward front end and is group regulated, which makes it VERY inappropriate for a modern PC with a 2070.

If you had $500 for a...
There are instances of that PSU catching fire when it fails.

There are instances of every PSU catching fire when it fails, and the CX600 uses a Sitronix ST9S429 supervisor IC so it does in fact have all of the required protections.

Why do you want to fear monger?

That said, that is a VERY OLD PSU. It uses a double forward front end and is group regulated, which makes it VERY inappropriate for a modern PC with a 2070.

If you had $500 for a graphics card, you shouldn't be using a 6 year old PSU.

I'm surprised you're even asking. You don't put old tires on a new car.

Solution