[SOLVED] PSU rails question -- SATA and PCI-E

Oct 24, 2019
Hey guys,

I am building my first computer ever, so I apologize if my questions are silly.

My first question is regarding the SATA cable, is it safe to power two different hubs using a single SATA rail/cable? I've got an ARGB + fan hub/controllers (ones which connect to the MB for signal and power using SATA) each has roughly around 8 connectors.

and secondly, I've gotten a 2080 super, the PCI-e cables from my MB also multiple connectors, am I supposed to power the GPU using a single cable? (they would populate both pins on the GPU)

if this is of any help, the PSU I am using is the RM850x
Thanks a bunch for your patience!

Solution
thats my fault i confused them with non addressable RGB

FWkBefr.png

you seem to have figured it correct

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
what is your motherboard and Which kind of ARGB fans and hub is it ? are you are sure this is the correct configuration regarding connecting the ARGB
regarding the power though , ofcourse you can power the argb controllers easily with multiple sata connectors on the same cable with no problems regarding the maximum current for the cables same for this gpu you can connect it to a single cable using the 2 connectors with no problems it maxes out at 250w which is around 20.8 amps so you are perfectly fine

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019
Oh I thought hubs and controllers were the same thing, sorry, the rgb hub has come with my MSI gungnir 100 case so are the strips, is this what you mean?

manual says to connect one side for the data input and the other to a SATA cable, it has aN optional controller connection socket(whatever they’re called).

For the fans I’m using thermaltake commander Fp

Motherboard: Z390 Maximus hero xi