Question PSU (?) rattle.

Mar 11, 2023
About 2 months ago i built my first pc. When i booted it for the first time all i heard was this weird rattling sound. At that time i thought it was a stock amd cooler (Ryzen 5600g wraith stealth) so i RMA'd cpu for a different one (Ryzen 5600) and swapped cooler for Fera 5. Still the issue persisted. After that i found out that my psu (Cooler Master MWE GOLD-V2 750W) was the source of the rattling sound, so i sent for rma. Now after swapping psu to XPG Core Reactor 750w, the same noise is still noticeable. Is it just a bad luck and just second case of bad fan, or perhaps the motherboard might be at fault? Or maybe something entirely else? As an additional info I can say that PSU fan is directed downwards, and there are rarely, very silent and short “buzzes” coming from the motherboard.

Before assuming that psu fan is faulty, I checked every case and CPU fan by stopping them with hand.

https://vocaroo.com/111mYdNufrwE
(Recorded this sound by sliding my phone under PC)

Any help is appreciated.

My current setup:
MB: GIGABYTE X B550 GAMING V2
RAM: Kingston FURY 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL16
SSD: WD Blue SN570
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600
GPU: POWERCOLOR Radeon RX 6700XT Hellhound 12GB
PSU: XPG Core Reactor 750W 80 Plus Gold
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I don't think it's a case of ending up with two PSU's with bad fans in them. Might want to inspect the PSU and see if there's any foreign object trying to make it's way into the fan/intake of the PSU. I've come across builds whereby a stray cabletie was butting into the fan in a PSU.

Is the case sitting atop of a carpet?

Mar 11, 2023
Thanks for replying!

Case sits on wooden paneled floor. Also I checked already for any foreign object colliding with fan outside of psu, and nothing seemed to be a problem. I tried to look inside psu through fan opening, and again haven't found anything.