[SOLVED] PSU recommendation

punkyfish

Prominent
Jan 26, 2019
For Ryzen 5 3600, looking at the msi Radeon rx570 8g Armor card. I prefer modular but doesn’t have to be

thank you

First find an online calculator to determine the needed wattage for your system. You will typically need to enter all of your components and it will calculate the wattage needed. Be sure it includes the overhead calculation.

Then come back here and find the PSU tier list and select a product with the required wattage. Select the best one you can afford.

Do not go cheap on the PSU. Everything else in and attached to the computer depends on clean, stable power.

For Ryzen 5 3600, looking at the msi Radeon rx570 8g Armor card. I prefer modular but doesn’t have to be

thank you
A 450w unit will be the minimum, if you were to upgrade at some point though, I'd look at 500w+.

So, for a modular unit, the only viable budget unit would be a corsair cx-m (~$70-$80). It uses a double forward topology, so it's not the best, but it's not the worst and will do. A higher quality modular unit will cost considerably more at ~$100+ for something like an antec earthwatt gold pro, or similar.
For non modular, you can opt for a corsair cx, the regular cx is superior to the cx-m actually, using a modern halfbridge llc and dc-dc secondary, it's a good unit.

Where in the world are you situated?

punkyfish

Prominent
Jan 26, 2019
First find an online calculator to determine the needed wattage for your system. You will typically need to enter all of your components and it will calculate the wattage needed. Be sure it includes the overhead calculation.

Then come back here and find the PSU tier list and select a product with the required wattage. Select the best one you can afford.

Do not go cheap on the PSU. Everything else in and attached to the computer depends on clean, stable power.
Thank you

punkyfish

Prominent
Jan 26, 2019
A 450w unit will be the minimum, if you were to upgrade at some point though, I'd look at 500w+.

So, for a modular unit, the only viable budget unit would be a corsair cx-m (~$70-$80). It uses a double forward topology, so it's not the best, but it's not the worst and will do. A higher quality modular unit will cost considerably more at ~$100+ for something like an antec earthwatt gold pro, or similar.
For non modular, you can opt for a corsair cx, the regular cx is superior to the cx-m actually, using a modern halfbridge llc and dc-dc secondary, it's a good unit.

Where in the world are you situated?
Uk, might be best looking at not a modular one then

Uk, might be best looking at not a modular one then
Oh, you're in the uk? Good news, you can get a modular and good quality for a low price of £70, it's a corsair Tx550m. If you want a bit cheaper, the corsair cx550 is £65. If you're completely strapped for cash and have zero plans to upgrade, the bequiet system power 9 will work for £55(cheaper components, inferior design, and no uk plug with it).

Solution