[SOLVED] PSU Recommendation

henry90

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for the help!

I have this following configuration at the moment:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Asrock X470 Taichi
Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x16GB 3200
Fractal Design Define R6 Black - Tempered glass
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 WINDFORCE 8G
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
Samsung 970 EVO 1T

I am using so far a very old Corsair CMPSU-650TXEU 650W but it's making some electrical noises since a while. Plus my computer sound is giving troubles like it's not well isolated. Can't solve this problem and since the power supply is very old anyway (been used for more than 10 years) I think it's time to change. I don't have a budget restriction. At the same time a dragon spitting fire is not needed :D you get my point! It would be nice to get something though of good quality that can be easily reused due to its good power for a future new configuration/components. What would you suggest me to have? Thank in advance!

Solution
Hey there,

Any of these would do:

Corsiar RMx/RMi/TXM, Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, EVGA G2/G3 650w would be fine for you. All of which are made with quality parts and come with 7-10 year warranties.
a 650W power supply is the minimum for your GPU. I'd get a 750 or 800 for personal comfort.

Hmmm. That's not correct. A 650w is not the min required, it's the 'recommended' requirement.

Whilst I don't disagree that having a bit of headroom is a good idea, a 650w is plenty for that system. Heck, you could even get by on a good quality 550w PSU, as long as there was no insane overclocking going on.

The GPU draws about 220w-250w depending on which card it is. The CPU at maybe 140w (if overclocked), and another 100w for system components. That's about 500w at most.

See what I mean?

henry90

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018
I would go for a 750w just to have the chance in case to make everything work if I get in the future (for example) a 3080 or something like that. Corsair RM 750x should be enough then right? Unfortunately EVGA are not super available at the moment but if you tell me I should wait for one of them or a Seasonic Focus Plus gold then I can wait!

henry90

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018
Actually after a bit of research I found out that the website where I want to buy (plus the local national Amazon) are out of stock of EVGA and Seasonic. But there are:

Corsair RM750x
at the same price of:
Fractal Design ION+ 760W Platinum and 860W .. a bit weird that the 760W and the 860W are the same price.

I have heard that this Fractal Design ION+ is pretty rare to find and also quite expensive usually, but not in this case. Which one would you suggest? Or worth waiting the EVGA or Seasonic comes back in stock?

Actually after a bit of research I found out that the website where I want to buy (plus the local national Amazon) are out of stock of EVGA and Seasonic. But there are:

Corsair RM750x
at the same price of:
Fractal Design ION+ 760W Platinum and 860W .. a bit weird that the 760W and the 860W are the same price.

I have heard that this Fractal Design ION+ is pretty rare to find and also quite expensive usually, but not in this case. Which one would you suggest? Or worth waiting the EVGA or Seasonic comes back in stock?

Pretty great prices, but still... the RM750x is what I'd get anyways. Better than the Fractal ION+ units surely.

What Seasonic/EVGA models are you trying to get?