Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 82 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

itrip

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
There are lemons, even among the best. And for that reason, we have warranty.

As of melting connectors go, perhaps the manufacturing defect with the cables was the issue, rather than PSU itself. :unsure: This is easily prevented by using custom sleeved compatible cables. E.g from CableMod.
Noted, indeed.

Darkbreeze

Retired Mod
HCG extreme's are good but the HCG golds have some issue with the 3xxx series. Have seen atleast 10-15 HCG's melt out their pcie connectors
You have demonstrable evidence of this? 10-15 unique events, that YOU have evidence of? I'm doubtful, but not exclusively dubious. Lemons are one thing. A lemon tree is something different.

And if ANY of them were due to changes in cabling or attempts to use previously installed cabling from a different unit, then all bets are off, because this is the usual cause of such things.

Reactions: King_V

Jerrymc3

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
I've used three different psu calculators for my system and have gotten a range from 655 to 1200 watts.
These are my current system specs:
P3DV 5.3, Prosi737 Server, Wideview
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo
i9-9900K 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Turbo)
EVGA CLC 240 Liquid / Water CPU Cooler
Gigabyte RTX 3080 10GB
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3600
(3) Vizio 42” HDTVs-Front surround view
12” Monitor for atc and gsx menus
Cooler Master NR600 Case
SoundBlaster Sound Card
1TB M2. (4) 1TB SSD, 1TB HD, 3TB HD
EVGA 850W psu
WINDOWS 10
I use all usb outputs on my motherboard plus a pci usb outputs card
Also a 13port powered usb hub which is powering radios and navigation devices

I just ordered a Gigabyte RTX 3090TI graphics card and I don't know if my current psu has enough power. This computer is powering a home built B737-800 cockpit and don't know if my 850w psu is adequate to handle the additional draw of the 3090ti. I wiped out my savings to buy this new gpu and I certainly don't want an inadequate psu to damage my system. I'm not interested and can't afford overkill but can you give me a safe recommendation for a psu if I need to replace the 850w?

Jerry

NightHawkRMX

Polypheme
Ambassador
The GQ850 is a decent quality unit but it is older and based on an older topology that is not well suited to the transient load spikes from a 3090ti.

I would use it but save up and upgrade as soon as you can.

Since it's decent quality and has a full set of protections, in worst case if the 3090ti is too much it should just turn off.

Jerrymc3

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
I saw the CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM1000x was #7 in your list of best psus. If you think its necessary to upgrade I found it on sale for $167.99.

Aeacus

Champion
Ambassador
I saw the CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM1000x was #7 in your list of best psus. If you think its necessary to upgrade I found it on sale for $167.99.
If you replace your RTX 3080 with RTX 3090 TI, then additional power draw increases 100W. Here, the RM1000x would suffice, since it would give you more headroom wattage wise and it is also better build quality wise. Age wise, both (GQ850 and RM100x) are same, seeing release in 2015.

ASK THE COMMUNITY