Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tx550m

I would avoid Thermaltake and Cooler Master. They do have a few good units, but most of the models they sell are either poor or mediocre, and the ones they have that ARE good are usually way overpriced. Obviously, this may vary somewhat from region to region. There ARE situations where one of their units happens to be the best choice, but that is rare.

This is just ONE example of why I say that. Very new and modern CM unit. One of the worst scores ever seen on JG for a well known brand name product. Doesn't look to be much better than most Raidmax units. Sad.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=563

Any PSU with the word "Lite" in its name is questionable at best!

At least for a gaming system. For a very low powered office or internet machine, it might be fine. Even then though, I'd still prefer something decent. CM and Thermaltake have a very bad track record in that regard over the last fifteen years or so.

I have no personal experience with Thermaltake. Coolermaster, as a brand, has earned a place on my personal "Do Not Buy" list (all products) for a range of personal experience with some of their products, and a VERY poor review history that includes fraud (not merely "exaggeration") across multiple product lines.

Funny thing, being as we're talking about Cooler Master. They just released a product that I might just be interested in buying unless somebody else releases another version of it sometime soon. It's a 90 degree 24 pin ATX adapter so your cabling doesn't have to make a big U to plug in.

http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/power-supply-adapter/atx-24pin-90-degree-adapter-with-added-capacitors/

One day they'll remove that annoying clip that holds the cable in.

How is it ever going to fall out if that wasn't there but how many finger nails have given up their lives in the attempt to removed them?

NO!! you aren't supposed to use it to lift the motherboard out of the case.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

XS5LK.gif

Oct 24, 2018
guys my focus 750 gold seasonic came and i replaced it with my old psu which is a "crap" for everybody here :d

but, i am having some kind of stability problem now i have no idea why, ie. during playing dota2 sometimes game crashes, pubg crashes.

do you have any idea? i never faced these when i was using "crap" psu.

ryzen 1700@3.900mhz 1.39v
corsair cl16 3200mhz@2966 cl15
msi gtx 980@ 1480mhz gpu&1980mhz memory
asus b350 prime plus motherboard

system never got frozen, only some games crash, yea it sounds weird but i didnt update anything, never changed any settings it now happens.

any idea? can it be related to psu?because the only thing was changed in my system; psu.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Its best to start your own new thread you will get more opinions and info than here.

To start make sure you didn't knock anything lose when installing the PSU.

logainofhades

Titan

That's an even better deal than the $89.99 G3 850 Amazon had a couple weeks ago. Getting a quality power supply is much easier on the wallet, these days, thanks to competition.

Something I feel that should be noted and highlighted now as it is important.

With the newer MB's a lot of them have 2X Power Connections.

Only the better 750W and above Modular PSU's have 2X CPU Power cables.

Examples:

Seasonic Focus Plus, Prime Series
EVGA G2 and G3
Corsair RMX

Very few 650W and below units have 2X Power Cables, NONE of the budget units people seem to recommend have them.

I know the Seasonic X-650W and Seasonic 650W Prime Titanium have 2X CPU Power cables.

That is noteworthy, however, for the most part those additional CPU power connections are only needed for extreme/competitive overclocking. All of those boards will run perfectly fine with only the standard 8 pin (4+4) EPS connector, even on the 8/16 CPUs.

Until they don't, and we are already seeing it here on THG with the newer boards. Mainly the Z390 Boards, so it's something to watch for.

Reason why I brought it up.

I think the way the Z390 power systems is setup may be different on some boards, so they really do need both CPU power connections connected?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Nope

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_FORMULA/E14779_ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_FORMULA_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

Thats the manual for the Maximus XI. If anything you'd expect that board to need it yet if you check out page 2-7 it says you can connect only the 8 pin, or do the 8 and the 4.

IMO if you're running a 9900k you'd be dumb not to connect it. But there is no requirement.