Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 56 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
85C main cap isn't the end of the world. It's large and usually cooled well by the fan. I'd the only issue with a PSU is an 85C main cap i wouldn't stress about it. 85C caps on the secondary side or sub standard caps would be an issue.
Alright, thanks for that info.
But the unit still has really high inrush current on both 230v and 110v, mediocre +12v ripple suppression. Wonky 5v ripple suppression at 50% load. And pretty weak transient response

4745454b

Titan
While a unit might have other issues, i was saying i wouldn't disqualify a unit for having a good 85C main cap. If other issues are there then of course say no.

At a high price point i would expect jap caps, all 105 , etc. Pure power psus aren't normally sold at that price.

If I pay 80 to 100 bucks for a PSU, which is what the Pure power 11 500w-700w units, both older and newer skus, for each of those part numbers, has pretty much unflinchingly run, I want to see a 105° primary cap. If it's a 50-70 dollar unit, and has good enough layout and cooling, then fine, we can live with an 85° cap, but dang, when you start getting up to over 80 bucks, spend an extra dollar on the damn capacitor for me.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Looks like MSI has yet again come out with their own PSU line, MPG GF series,
specs: https://www.msi.com/news/detail/a995b410d5e76ed56523533b47e3786a

I wonder, is MSI learned it's lesson and are those PSUs going to fare better this time around? Since last time, their PSUs were utterly garbage.

Edit: The marketing of MPG GF series also claims of: "MSI unveils it's very first and very own power supply products: the MPG GF Series. ". Thing is, that marketing is false since MPG GF series isn't the 1st one, instead the 2nd one. 1st one was MSI TurboStream series, back in 2006. It seems that MSI wants to swipe it's TurboStream completely under the rug.

Last edited:
Of course it does. Wiping problems under the rug is EXACTLY what MSI does.

And Cooler master does the same thing, which is PART of the reason why you'll VERY rarely see me recommend any of their products. The only reason you'd have seen me recommending anything from MSI is because their B450 and X470 motherboard were pretty good AND they had the foresight to be the only motherboard manufacturer wise enough to include BIOS flashback on a lot of their mid tiered boards.

Reactions: King_V and Aeacus
Msi has some very good products but at the same time they have some bad products.

I have owned a couple MSI Nvidia cards never with a bad experience. I remember how surprised I was by the good cooler on my old gaming x gtx970.

My msi b350 gaming plus has been an ok board but nothing incredible. A motherboard is motherboard to some extent.

Then there is my msi mech oc rx5700 which is rather disappointing as it's loud and hot.

And MSI PR team really needs some fixing.

Added a new brand to the "Do NOT use" list on the front page. Quantex. As found by DSzymborski, it might be the worst, or at least among the worst, power supplies I've ever seen.

0kwLinC.jpg

andjayik

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
What would u guys recommend? Just bought the Seasonic focus PX-550 Going to take the 550 back for the same price i want more power in case of upgrade, so i have these 3 to choose from Phanteks AMP 750W, ANTEC HCG750 Gold HIGH CURRENT GAMER and CORSAIR RM Serie RM750 being only $10 more from the other 2. Any thoughts? Leaning to the corsair or Phantek. Or maybe rmx650 i hear they have better capacitors then the RM? Or is the extra 200 w needed if i ever want to go for a rtx 2060-2080/3070?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
What would u guys recommend? Just bought the Seasonic focus PX-550 Going to take the 550 back for the same price i want more power in case of upgrade, so i have these 3 to choose from Phanteks AMP 750W, ANTEC HCG750 Gold HIGH CURRENT GAMER and CORSAIR RM Serie RM750 being only $10 more from the other 2. Any thoughts? Leaning to the corsair or Phantek. Or maybe rmx650 i hear they have better capacitors then the RM? Or is the extra 200 w needed if i ever want to go for a rtx 2060-2080/3070?

Did you read the first post on page 1 of this thread?

I have a question that's mostly personal opinion about used PSUs.

I bought a very nice used PC, and it has a Corsair HX750i blue label which was powering a 4670k+1080 machine. I think it's one of the 80+ Platinum models.

My current machine has a Corsair CX550M Grey label that is around 3 years old at this point. It has handled anything I have thrown at it, including an R9 390 which can easily draw 250-300w on its own. It also handles the GTX1080 from the other machine.

However, do you think it is a good idea to put the used HX750i in my main system, and the (at this point) pretty well used CX550M in the PC with the 1080?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I have a question that's mostly personal opinion about used PSUs.

I bought a very nice used PC, and it has a Corsair HX750i blue label which was powering a 4670k+1080 machine. I think it's one of the 80+ Platinum models.

My current machine has a Corsair CX550M Grey label that is around 3 years old at this point. It has handled anything I have thrown at it, including an R9 390 which can easily draw 250-300w on its own. It also handles the GTX1080 from the other machine.

However, do you think it is a good idea to put the used HX750i in my main system, and the (at this point) pretty well used CX550M in the PC with the 1080?

The HX750i is probably older, in theory it could be more "used". I'm of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" camp. Its a used PSU, no matter how good it is, why take apart a working system to reuse it for.... reasons?

The HX750i is probably older, in theory it could be more "used". I'm of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" camp. Its a used PSU, no matter how good it is, why take apart a working system to reuse it for.... reasons?
Well, I plan to resell the PC the HXi came out of. So my plan was to put the better PSU in my system and the worse one in the system to sell.

I already have to take that system apart to put it into another case thanks to UPS smashing the heck out of the NZXT H440 its in.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Do you think the CX550M can handle the 1080 for the long term? It's working fine now.
I would think so. My main gaming PC is a Dell XPS 8700, stock Dell 460W PSU, GTX 1080 FE, and original i5-4460 CPU.

Prior to that, I've had an R9 285 in this machine, which uses about the same, maybe slightly more, power than the GTX 1080. Never an issue. I think the CX550M should be just fine with it.