Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 58 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aris does not seem to believe that unit has any problems with ripple, and of course, I'd tend to take his review results as gospel long before pretty much anybody else's.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/super-flower-leadex-iii-650-w/4.html

He also believes that unit has very few "problems" of any kind.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/super-flower-leadex-iii-650-w/7.html

In happy now, especially with the comment of it being quieter than a rmx, that was absolutely the key to a new buy for me.

The cxm has served me well but the 5700xt is too much for it and the aggressive fan profile at high loads is beyond annoying.

Looking forwards to using that eco mode when I'm running sub 50% loads (which to be honest is most of the time with both cpu and gpu being undervolted)

Yes, I would put those units up there with the Prime units, or close to them. Maybe also include the HX units in that group. They are all very good. Three of the top five platforms on anybody's list really should be Seasonic Prime, Corsair HX and Super Flower Leadex III.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yes, I would put those units up there with the Prime units, or close to them. Maybe also include the HX units in that group. They are all very good. Three of the top five platforms on anybody's list really should be Seasonic Prime, Corsair HX and Super Flower Leadex III.
Can this mention be added to the first post? I take it this is a notable step above the already recommended Leadex and Leadex II?

Also that the CX-F is at the level of the Vengeance, come to think of it...

Well, ordered pm yesterday, delivered 10.30am this morning with 2 free bags of Haribo to boot.

Pretty happy for £80 delivered, has to be the best buy in the UK at the minute, everything else comparable is £100+.

Reactions: King_V

Corsair used HEC 🤷‍♂️

Style over substance, don't get me wrong, it's kind of 'ok' but christ on a bike it's retail is over $100!!!

Its just not worth that at all.

The white one would look really really nice in my white fractal case though 🤣

I'll stick with my new leadex for now I think (the fan has still not kicked up yet on the temp controlled eco mode even whilst gaming)

Yeah, I wouldn't, EVER, pay over a hundred dollars for a "Vengeance silver" quality power supply. In fact, I wouldn't pay ANYTHING for an RGB power supply, specifically. Maybe if it was the least expensive of the options for a predetermined desired quality level among other units, but that's not going to happen. For the price of this thing you can pretty well get a really good Gold rated platform of some kind when prices are normalized again. Maybe now, if you're patient enough.

There ISN'T a "new grey label HX750i, that I'm aware of.

There is a newer HX750 but it is not an "i" model.

If there is a newer version of the HX750i, I haven't seen it and there are no reviews of it.

You're correct.

There is no gray label HXi. That product never got a "branding refresh" over the past 7 years.

Don't fix what's not broken. :D

CWT must be very pleased with the ROI on that one.

The Vengeance Silver was HEC as well.

I am very pleased with HEC. I wonder why your thoughts are different.

Also, Aris used Corsair's MSRP pricing from their webpage, which is always worst case scenario, as it doesn't seem to be available anywhere at this moment.

'grudgingly admits it's decent internally after reading the review properly'

BUT

Still doesn't really change my mind regarding practicality, I just don't get rgb psu's at all to be honest.

Any modern case is bottom mount and most have a shroud.

Even if they don't that psu entices people to orientate in what I'd call the incorrect position.

Thats just me though, I don't get this massive penchant for rgb at all.

Apart from the fact I actually find the look distasteful personally it also encourages people to spend money in the wrong areas completely when budgeting and the mass of tempered glass front cases with little to no airflow available

Its available now in the UK, the leadex 3 can be had for £3 less, the rmx 650 can be had for £10 more.

Rant over, this is a psu thread after all but it is all kind of related.

Well, I agree. Anybody who buys a PSU "just" for the RGB, is a bonehead.

And anybody who buys a PSU with RGB that is significantly lower quality than other models that are significantly better and could be had for the same price, but lack RGB, is a bonehead. To a degree anyhow. I mean, once you get to a certain level of quality, anything that takes it to a higher level from there is a matter of preference, not necessity. So if the platform is known to be good enough that we could reliably recommend it, and it has RGB, and somebody is willing to pay extra for that, then more power to them.

But to pay "solid platform, gold rated" prices for a unit with RGB that isn't up to that level, seems silly. And I'm not saying that the CX-F "is" that, because it seems a fairly decent unit. In the 75-85 dollar range for a 550-650w model, that would be a solid buy. Anything over that, and there are much better models to be had for a few dollars more, no Clint Eastwood pun intended.

Any modern case is bottom mount and most have a shroud.

I actually wish that trend would die. Especially the "mount the fan pointing down towards the floor" trend.

Mind you, if this guy didn't have a Zero RPM fan mode, this wouldn't be an issue: https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=200131

I mean... you make a PSU to work flawless with intake temps as high as 50°C and then someone tells you to point the PSU down to the floor so it "doesn't suck in hot air". sigh

But I agree about the RGB. I have an ROG card that has LEDs (that I keep solid blue) and that's it. Now, my daughter, on the other hand, has all RGB and even has this PSU and it's in an InWin case so you can actually see it. :D

As for the cost adder: It's $5. If you look at the Vengeance Silver 750W's MSRP, it's $94.99 for a semi-modular PSU. The same CX-F is $109.99. $10 is a common cost adder for full modularity. So the fan is another $5. That's it. And even without the RGB, I think the actual look of the housing is a lot better than the "plain black box" you usually see.

And we have had some people ask for RGB PSUs even with fan shrouds. A lot of the shrouds have a vent on the top of the shroud and the light shines through when the PSU is pointed up. And when the PSU is pointed down, it gives "ground effects". Or... You can just turn it off. :D

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I actually wish that trend would die. Especially the "mount the fan pointing down towards the floor" trend.

Mind you, if this guy didn't have a Zero RPM fan mode, this wouldn't be an issue: https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=200131

I mean... you make a PSU to work flawless with intake temps as high as 50°C and then someone tells you to point the PSU down to the floor so it "doesn't suck in hot air". sigh

And yet SOOO many people give me crap for my Seasonic Prime Titanium with Hybrid fan being set with the fan pointing UP in my gaming system. :D

Reactions: Phaaze88

USAFRet

Titan
I admit...I'm of the concept of "Let the PSU draw in air from outside. Let it handle its own cooling, and not interfere with the rest of the airflow."

But with current cases and components, it probably doesn't matter that much anymore.

Brands that in general should never be trusted at all except when a positive reliable review for a SPECIFIC MODEL from that brand exists.

One or two of these brands listed below MIGHT have a single model or two (Or manufacture anything from mediocre to decent quality units under other brand names but not their own. One example would be HEC that makes some decent models under the Cougar label and a few rather borderline ones in the past for EVGA, but their own HEC/Compucase Orion units have historically been terrible.) that are cut from a completely different mold than what that brand is known for, but overall, if they are listed below they are primarily known for selling just plain junk and in many cases, very dangerous junk that lacks adequate protections or cannot even manage to sustain a fraction of whatever rated capacity their products might indicate on the specifications s far as units sold under their OWN name, I have yet to see any that were of recommendable quality or in many cases even safe for use.

A-Top, AK Power, Alpine, Apevia, Apex (Supercase/Allied), Artic, Ace, Aerocool (There might be one model worth using, but I'd still avoid them.), Aspire (Turbocase), Atadc, Atrix, Broadway com corp, Chieftech, Circle, CIT, Coolmax, Deer, Diablotek, Dynapower, Dynex, Eagletech, Enlight, Eurotech, Evo labs, EZ cool, Feedtek, Foxconn, G7, HEC (Compucase Orion), HEDY, High power, iBall, iStar computer co., Jeantec, JPac, Just PC, Kentek, Kolink, LC Power, Linkworld electronics, Logisys, Macron, MSI, Njoy, NmediaPC, Norwood Micro (CompUSA), Okia, Powercool, Powmax, Pulsepower, Q-tec, Quantex, Raidmax, Rave, Rocketfish, Segotep, SFC, Sharkoon, Shuttle, Skyhawk, Spire, Startech, Storm, Sumvision, Tesla, Trust, Ultra, Wintech, Winpower, Xilence (Until I see a reputable review of a model showing different), xTreme (Cyberpower), Youngbear and Zebronics.
Please also add this brand on the list Frontech. <Mod Edit> gives 250W max on a 800W rated PSU

I'm pretty sure it's a garbage brand, but I'm hesitant to add any brand or company to the list of garbage brands without knowing they are in fact bad enough that they ought to be on advertisements on the side of here.

SMdULbK.png