Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Last edited:

4745454b

Titan
Going from memory, 80+ tests at 25C as well. Its going to be hotter than that in your case. They also allow more load on the 3.3/5V rails. Usually in our tests we put a 1A load on each. 80+ does 5A? I don't remember. Both of these will allow a unit to pass but fail in real world. If it does have a real 80+ cert than its probably not 100% garbage. There isn't really a good way to know how good it is until it's really tested.

Going from memory, 80+ tests at 25C as well. Its going to be hotter than that in your case. They also allow more load on the 3.3/5V rails. Usually in our tests we put a 1A load on each. 80+ does 5A? I don't remember. Both of these will allow a unit to pass but fail in real world. If it does have a real 80+ cert than its probably not 100% garbage. There isn't really a good way to know how good it is until it's really tested.

Since it has DC to DC, a +5V and +3.3V load is a load on the +12V, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: 4745454b
So uhh, I bought the apevia prestige 600w. I was planning on doing a full teardown, but just looking through the back grating has me a bit deflated. The primary cap is a 105°C rated ChengX, 330uf 420v, and all the other secondary caps are chengx as well.
There's a large inductor on the secondary, so it's probably some acrf design if it does have gold rating(if).

ChengX isn't on the tier list in the psu 101 article, but I'm assuming they're pretty sketch?

I may just return it without tearing it down and inspecting further.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thank you. Was worrying about the psu. May i ask is this psu a good one? The review is kinda mixed. And does the rog strix 3080 OC consume more watt then other version?
If you would've read the first post in this thread, under the EVGA section:
Good models are the B2, GQ, G2, G2L, G3, P2 and T2 models. Seems that the EVGA G5 series might be best avoided. The OEM is FSP on the one reliable review so far which was for the 1000w model, and while likely not strictly FSP's fault, the unit did not look like a worthy successor to the G2 or even the G3, which itself was not as good as the G2 but still better than most units out there. There are other, better choices than the G5 at this price point including their own G2 models, which, are getting hard to find. I think even the GQ units would be a better choice.

Reactions: Asuma
The G3 is a good PSU, but it has one problem that is what causes mixed opinions online. Essentially the OCP is not set properly, meaning the PSU will let you draw more power than the PSU can reliably provide, which can cause damage to both your hardware and I would assume the PSU.

Your PC won't exceed 850w, so Its not an issue.

Asuma

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
The G3 is a good PSU, but it has one problem that is what causes mixed opinions online. Essentially the OCP is not set properly, meaning the PSU will let you draw more power than the PSU can reliably provide, which can cause damage to both your hardware and I would assume the PSU.

Your PC won't exceed 850w, so Its not an issue.
So basically with this setup i dont need to worry about its down side right? Sorry kinda new to this building a pc.

So basically with this setup i dont need to worry about its down side right? Sorry kinda new to this building a pc.
Yes, that is correct. Your system is about a 735w maximum power consumption under worst case scenarios while running Prime95 Small FFT AND Furmark, simultaneously. Which, you will never be doing anyhow so you are perfectly fine with that unit.

Asuma

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
Yes, that is correct. Your system is about a 735w maximum power consumption under worst case scenarios while running Prime95 Small FFT AND Furmark, simultaneously. Which, you will never be doing anyhow so you are perfectly fine with that unit.
Much appreciated!

The ECO mode is the quieter mode. ECO causes it to have either a slower or a zero rpm fan speed until it hits a certain temperature. Personally, when possible, I usually recommend leaving ECO modes OFF on most PSUs. For the majority of systems you are not going to normally hear the PSU fan over the sound of case fans, CPU cooler fans or graphics card fans anyhow, plus the PSU is likely to probably last longer using the standard fan profile anyhow because it will likely maintain a lower average temperature.

If you are that worried about noise you might want to consider a 1000w model instead.

This is also probably a better option than that G3 anyhow, and costs less, at the 850w option.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Vg...-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020180-na