Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 61 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I don't know what that is. It's not listed AT ALL, anywhere on the Super Flower website, not even under the "phased out" models, and there isn't even a classification of Leadex III bronze or super bronze models indicated at all on there or anywhere else for that matter, except on Newegg. If it wasn't being sold directly by Newegg I'd suggest that maybe it was fake. LOL.

Those are entirely different platforms. I'd say it's a certainty they have entirely different modular boards, and probably everything else as well. Looks like those units with the round connections are specialty models with avionics connectors. IDK really because I've never seen one of those before, but it's definitely not looking like they have any relationship with each other. Could be though I guess.

Googling the partnr leads to a Dutch site where this one pops up,
that is pretty old. An old design in a new case?

No that's a very old group regulated unit search for amptac pyramid and there were a fair few wattage models, it's a unit from 2010/2011.

That bronze is absolute a modern dc-dc unit with the single 549.6 12v wattage rating.

Pcb and component layout looks virtually identical to the leadex 3 gold, interesting to see what they've actually compromised on for the bronze rating.

The modular cable sockets though?

I've never seen that many pins on any modular psu.

Advertised on that Newegg page as 'universal 9 pin patented sockets'

Universal with what?? It's the only psu I've ever seen with them 🤔😂

No that's a very old group regulated unit search for amptac pyramid and there were a fair few wattage models, it's a unit from 2010/2011.

That bronze is absolute a modern dc-dc unit with the single 549.6 12v wattage rating.

Pcb and component layout looks virtually identical to the leadex 3 gold, interesting to see what they've actually compromised on for the bronze rating.

The modular cable sockets though?

I've never seen that many pins on any modular psu.

Advertised on that Newegg page as 'universal 9 pin patented sockets'

Universal with what?? It's the only psu I've ever seen with them 🤔😂
Other than the 24 pin they are universal in that you can plug anything else in the system into them such as sata, pcie, cpu, anything that's left.

Just a quick question, didnt feel like making an entire thread.

Do you think an M12ii 520 EVO (2-3yo) can handle a 5600xt+i5 7500?

Less than 400w total system draw under full stress so yes it can absolutely.

Just not ideal though, the rx cards can spike intermittently 50w or above their designated power limits.

I had issues with a txm 550w with a 5700xt because of this.

A stock 5600xt uses way less power so I don't think it'll be any kind of issue personally.

That should easily handle it, but I would be sure to turn off the C6/C7 C-states in the BIOS if you are going to use that power supply with the i5-7500 because that M12II is not Intel low power (Haswell or newer) state compliant. You may or may not have issues otherwise.

12,000w power supply. A miners dream. Gonna have a hard time finding a case for it though. (Yes, it's a joke.)

Edit: Actually, I guess not, since it has it's own open air test bench case. Just screw some standoffs right into the top bars and mount your motherboard there. LOL.

oq9qe1Q.jpg

Reactions: clarkjd
Just want to get your opinions.

Which would be better
Corsair CX750M bronze (green label)
EVGA W1 500

Both are same cost refurbished. Gonna power a 3570k+rx470.

Looking at the cx cheet sheet I'm leaning heavily towards the cxm but the green label frightens me

4745454b

Titan
I would put them at the same level. Going from memory, all the evga *1 psus aren't very good. Not fire starters, but not good either. The green label corsairs are similar. If they are the same price if get the corsair. The 750 wrong be stressed as much as the 500. But you might want to keep looking for anything better.

I wouldn't. I'd still put the CXm above the W1, even though it's an older green label model. Not above it by much, but slightly. Those W1 units are EXTREMELY poor quality and one of the most common problem units I see people shove into systems where they absolutely shouldn't be used. I wouldn't want either of these to be honest. It might matter as well which is newer. Because I'd probably take a 6 month old W1 over a five year old CXm green label, but if they were the same age, then the CXm would be the choice. Keep in mind, the CXm green units were slightly better than the CX green label units, contrary to the newer CX units being better than the newer CXm units.

Reactions: Vic 40 and King_V

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nice listing assuming you know how physically big each card is, especially considering how popular(??) microATX mainboards are becoming. So many of these physically crippled boards have something at the end of the PCI slot that can prevent the card from seating properly. Asrock is especially guilty of this. I've only seen one list of GPUs that gives the performance specs as well as the physical dimensions and it was created by an individual who posted it here on Tom's (https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-a-sortable-database-of-desktop-gpus.3163659/). Only problems with it are you can't download it and it's so small you need a 55" monitor to read it.

Nice listing assuming you know how physically big each card is, especially considering how popular(??) microATX mainboards are becoming. So many of these physically crippled boards have something at the end of the PCI slot that can prevent the card from seating properly. Asrock is especially guilty of this. I've only seen one list of GPUs that gives the performance specs as well as the physical dimensions and it was created by an individual who posted it here on Tom's (https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-a-sortable-database-of-desktop-gpus.3163659/). Only problems with it are you can't download it and it's so small you need a 55" monitor to read it.
What are you talking about "cards"? This is a PSU thread, not a graphics card thread.

True, but the comment holds. The reviews seldom show dimensions.
I don't know how the dimensions of graphics cards, whether in reviews or on the side of the wall in a bathroom somewhere, have anything at all to do with a thread pertaining to power supplies, but ok. If you say so. Let's try to keep discussion in THIS thread, on topic as far as it being PSU centric though, thanks.

Itliq

Commendable
Nov 8, 2020
Would corsair TX650M be enough for RTX 3060Ti + Ryzen 5 3600, looking at the leaked 3060Ti specs (and that it should be kind of like RTX 2080 Super)? I've checked some PSU calculators and both barely exceed 400w. I could in theory give the Corsair TX650M back since it's unused and waiting for 3060Ti and get SilentiumPC Supremo FM2 750W which I haven't seen before but I'm not sure if I should bother. I read a bunch of conflicting opinions like "solid 650w is enough" or "get 750w to be safe".