Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 67 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

g-unit1111

Titan
It's not. It's true. However, if it's even within about ten to twenty bucks, I'd go with the HXi. The EVGA products were good, ARE good, if it's the right model like the P series, but at the end of the day both Corsair and EVGA have pretty good product support and I think the HXi is just a little better than the P series, and given EVGA's inclination to move away from Super Flower it's probably not the worst idea to give those points to Corsair. I think at this point they are, at the least, more consistent.

So if it's safe to say that the HXi is the better purchase I think I will order that today.

We're all indecisive, until we decide. So it's not just you. Sometimes it just takes a little extra push from somebody to get us going where we had planned to all along, or to see that there is a much clearer trail to the left.

g-unit1111

Titan
We're all indecisive, until we decide. So it's not just you. Sometimes it just takes a little extra push from somebody to get us going where we had planned to all along, or to see that there is a much clearer trail to the left.

Well in normal times the PSU I want would be in stock and I can order it and have it the next day thanks to living very close to Newegg's central distribution warehouse. But right now because of COVID it's making everything like 100 times more difficult and stuff gets sold out before they can put it on the shelf. I had an HX850 (non i version) in my cart and they sold out before I could hit the "buy" button. So ordering direct from Corsair they had it in stock and I got free shipping on top of that.

Honestly, after learning the TXM has all japanese caps and the CX series even has a Japanese primary but the RM has no japanese caps at all, I don't think I would want an rm. The pricing doesn't make sense for the tier of caps it has.

I would recommend the RM before a LOT of other units out there, but in any conversation where the person was looking for a really good, high quality, reliable, long term solution, the RM would absolutely not be anywhere on that list unless perhaps it was at the very bottom, below a lot of other very worthy units that would seemingly have a better selection of caps and better fan.

g-unit1111

Titan
I would recommend the RM before a LOT of other units out there, but in any conversation where the person was looking for a really good, high quality, reliable, long term solution, the RM would absolutely not be anywhere on that list unless perhaps it was at the very bottom, below a lot of other very worthy units that would seemingly have a better selection of caps and better fan.

I have an RMx on my work PC and I would definitely recommend it over about 1,000 other PSUs on the market. But that is interesting to note about the TXM series.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Interesting read. Though, i don't think PSU OEMs would redesign their PSUs since few regulating bodies in 1 country are asking for a change and ATX12VO is best Intel could come up with.

Intel initially detailed its new ATX12VO power supply standard in a press release published nearly a year ago on April 2020, which clarified that the standard was in development for two years and designed to satisfy new energy requirements set by the EPA, California Energy Commission, and other regulating bodies.

What i'm also interested in, is what's AMD's take in this?

Without further info, what could come from all of this, is that PSU OEMs make U.S. specific PSUs, with only 12V rail, to meet ATX12VO and EPA requirements. While in everywhere else in the world, the standard 12v, 5v and 3.3v rail PSUs continue as normal. MoBo OEMs can follow the same suit, by making only U.S. specific MoBos with ATX12VO while keeping standard MoBos everywhere else.

Like I said, it is likely not going to be implemented if it's not backwards compatible. 5VSB being replaced by 12VSB will make the PSUs not forward and backward compatible.

Seems intels sense of self-importance know's no bounds.

12v only has been a thing for ages on dell and hp oem systems but I can't see it happening at all in the custombuild market - just like nvidias take on the new pci express power connectors.

Think people will end up with numerous adapter cables if this takes off.

Reactions: refillable
Seems intels sense of self-importance know's no bounds.

12v only has been a thing for ages on dell and hp oem systems but I can't see it happening at all in the custombuild market - just like nvidias take on the new pci express power connectors.

Think people will end up with numerous adapter cables if this takes off.
Yeah I mean the idea is good, but the implementation leaves something to be desired.

Yeah I mean the idea is good, but the implementation leaves something to be desired.

Its the fact they've come in like a wrecking ball with little thought for the pre existing market and its stock.

Fairly simple for modern dc- dc modular units to include a new cable with the correct connections for this new platform but older group regulated units are going to be useless.

Thinking about it that's actually probably not a bad thing at all though.

Its upto the manifacturers take up the slack and decide to manufacture modular cables for existing units.

I'd hate to see my leadex 3 become useless for a new platform change before it's time as I paid a fair bit for it and expect the full warranty period out of it usage wise.

I see it continuing to be about as popular as Intel's U.2 and optane products in the end. No way PSU manufacturers are going to start selling AMD vs Intel power supplies, and I'm pretty sure AMD isn't going to jump on board anything specc'd by Intel that really has little financial or performance benefit to them.

Perhaps an evolution of it, in a joint venture of some kind, down the road. Way down the road. Unless there are options for adapting these older motherboards to the newer PSU standard, I don't see much hope there.

4745454b

Titan
That why 10 or 12yr warranties are a bit dumb. Spend $200 on a great psu, only to see sata come out with a different power plug. Or move from 6pin to 8pin plugs. It if you bought your last case only to see usb3 come out. 10yrs is great in theory, but no one wants to keep/use 10yo equipment. By all means get it and be happy you have a quality thing. But i wouldn't count on using it for 10yrs.

So I am currently running my Extreme Edition System on the Segotep 600w, and I am looking to get a proper PSU for it, but not spend an arm and a leg.

Any recommendations? Specs are in the relevant thread in my sig.

Was considering this:
Super Flower Legion Gold HX 750W 80+ Gold, Ultra Flexible Flat Ribbon Cables, LLC & DC-DC Design, Semi-passive Fan Operation, Non-Modular Power Supply, HLB Fan, 5 Year Warranty, SF-750P14XE(HX)(750W) - Newegg.com

Is this any good? I am hoping its not a golden green or whatever.

Looks like Legion series is new, so not going to be based on any of those old platforms most likely, although it might be an updated version of one of them, but there are no reviews or even more than one or two references about it yet out there so really there are probably only a handful of people in the world who could tell you anything about those and I don't know who any of them are because, again, it seems to be a brand new product line.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd not buy a 12v only mobo/psu setup and be reliant on on board transformers to deal with 3.3v and 5v rails. What are you supposed to do if those rails are nothing but capXon caps because it's a budget mobo? That all-in-one solution with a brick has never been a good solution, even ebay is swamped with replacement mobo's just for that reason. I much prefer modularity in a pc. Might as well solve some of Intels issues while you are at it and stick the memory controller back in the Northbridge chipset and shove the igpu back on the mobo.

Reactions: maxamillionfeettall