Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 79 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Hey guys what do you think about the msi a750gf gold it is a worth to buy ?
It's pretty much reference CWT GPU, i.e near identical aside for the fan, fan curve and rail config to Bitfenix Whisper M, Enermax Revolution DF, Deepcool DQ-M (first gen, not V2L) and a few less known models. So in this case it's excempt from the rule 'no reviews - don't buy' as there are plenty of reviews on other PSUs using this exact platform and power semiconductors choice. The only downsides is the lack of semipassive mode and presumably, MSI using ball bearing fan on some batches (they don't claim any specific type of bearing anyway). For the price it usually goes for, i.e significantly cheaper than any of the aforementioned models or other alternatives like Corsair RM/RMx or various Seasonic Focus rebrands - that's a definitely good buy if you just need something on the budget side that works reliably without bells and whistles. Wouldn't recommend them for RTX3080/3090 tho as non-configurable multi-rail and very high transient power draw spikes may not mix well.

awayagain

Reputable
Jun 27, 2018
@Aeacus @NightHawkRMX @Juular
its a tight to choose since my cooler master v750 gold is failing on me no longer manages hard tasks or gaming
the avaible psu"s on algeria now are limited and they are :

ANTEC 850W 80+ GOLD FULL MODULAR VP PLUS SERIES HIGH CURRENT GAMER HCG 850P GOLD FULLY MODULAR 20$ more then the msi
Corsair TX750M 80PLUS Gold Alimentation semi-modulaire 750W ATX12V 2.4 – 80PLUS Gold 23$ more
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GRAND RGB FULL MODULAR 750W 80 PLUS GOLD 10$ more
Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 Full Modular V2 30$ more

Hey guys what do you think about the msi a750gf gold it is a worth to buy ?
since i have a 10600kf 32gb ram and gtx 1080 soon will get a 3070 4tb hard drive
an a aio 260mm cooler
Good PSU. Same internals as Bitfenix Whisper and Enermax Revolution D.F.. Disadvantage thing of the MSI is the fan. No fanless mode and a minimum rpm of 700. That makes it always audible.

Reactions: awayagain

awayagain

Reputable
Jun 27, 2018
got the new psu msi a850gf
if pc is right beside you yeah its a little noisy but when pc in under table it's not that disturbing
everything seems fine aida64 full stress 40min everything is fine
-- why is there no hybrid aka eco mode its a huge minus for me but well since i'm in algeria and corsair seasonic evga are like gold to find can't complain much
for now i can say its good enough but time will tell
but its doing its job

got the new psu msi a850gf
if pc is right beside you yeah its a little noisy but when pc in under table it's not that disturbing
everything seems fine aida64 full stress 40min everything is fine
-- why is there no hybrid aka eco mode its a huge minus for me but well since i'm in algeria and corsair seasonic evga are like gold to find can't complain much
for now i can say its good enough but time will tell
but its doing its job
Considering where you are, and some other places too, it would seem rather fortunate in fact that the model in question was even available to you. Especially with the way things are everywhere right now. Be glad of it for sure.

awayagain

Reputable
Jun 27, 2018
@Darkbreeze yeah you are right and i'm happy with it i was lucky it was the last one in stock
now i can finally relax and breath and start collecting some side money to get a 3070ti when prices drop a little

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Depends on how long it has been in service really. If you've had it long enough that it's out of warranty, then it might be a good idea to return the G5 and get something else.
thanks the G-2 is 12 years old still going strong , but on a new build why take a chance , guess i'll return the g5 and get a seasonic 850 . Another costly mistake

Yeah, that's true. No way it could be that old, but, if it was purchased in 2014 it would now be 7 years old which might still make replacement in a primary system not the worst idea ever as well. It would probably depend heavily on how hard it was run during those 7 years and what kind of hardware you're trying to push with it. I wouldn't be inclined to continue running a 7 year old G2 with a system that has an 800+ dollar graphics card, 250+ dollar motherboard and 400+ dollar CPU in it. Just wouldn't really make much sense.

awayagain

Reputable
Jun 27, 2018
hello everyone
update on the msi a750gf playing 1440p90 screen ultra settings on all games like forza
no over heating no shutdown
pc is down the desk can't really tell the noise any way seems still a wonderfull made psu from msi

2-a friend of mine is a thermaltake lover he has a 730 smart se
going to get a 2070 super and a i7-11700kf
is the 750w gold toughpower grand rgb good one ?

awayagain

Reputable
Jun 27, 2018
@Juular no need for that he was in rush and got the toughpower grand rgb

sorry for too much question since i want to learn some basics and get a little tier list in my head

can't find many reviews about the EVGA SUPERNOVA 750 GA gold is it worth it for someone who wants to buy it ?

can't find many reviews about the EVGA SUPERNOVA 750 GA gold is it worth it for someone who wants to buy it ?
I don't see any professional reviews, at all, for that unit. So, it's going to be pretty hard for anybody to say much of anything without a review to go off of unless they're experienced and have done a tear down themselves. Without any reviews, I'd probably avoid it. EVGA has recently had some particularly bad units, and has always been a mixed bag anyhow when it comes to their product lines.

Reactions: awayagain

awayagain

Reputable
Jun 27, 2018
Hello Guys sorry
it's me again a friend asked wich psu to get
between these choices coolermaster v2 850w gold

FoxSpirit 850w gold semi-m
corsair tx850m
nzxt c750 gold
i adviced him for the cooler master one
did i make the wrong choice ?

WHICH "Coolermaster v2", because there are several.

In general, probably you made the wrong choice, because the Corsair TX units are pretty decent for the price in most regions. The NZXT C750 gold isn't a bad unit though overall. Foxspirit? Never heard of them, and that is all you really need to know about that in most cases.