Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 80 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

awayagain

Reputable
Jun 27, 2018
@Darkbreeze its the V series V850 Gold -v2
FoxSpirit is a LDLC french rebrend i think the oem is seasonic if i'm not wrong but can"t trust them since there is very few review
cooler master has a replacement store and corsair not just a year garentie that what i tough its better for him if there's the 10 year garentie
Nzxt also do have a officiel replacement store their
there's also antec thermaltake and aorus but only 650w

The V series V2 is a good unit. If cooler master has the best support there and you can afford it, I would get it.
I would second this, even though most everybody around here knows that I am definitely not a fan of Coolermaster. But, I'm also not resistant to going with what the best option is, if it is, and allows for some decent form of support for the product based on your region. I think product support availability should be a HUGE consideration for ANY kind of hardware that you purchase, even to the point in some cases of not going with a better product if it lacks regional support for a specific user because another, still good product, has it.

Reactions: awayagain

awayagain

Reputable
Jun 27, 2018
@Darkbreeze in the end it was a battle between nzxt and cooler master since both have support their
but i chose cooler master since i readed that the v2 750 is one of the best in the reviews here in the 750w division
and 850 is a pretty decent one not the best but should do the job

awayagain

Reputable
Jun 27, 2018
@King_V yeah i understand you
because mine the mwe 750gold did not hold up two years
yeah i admit electricity is pretty bad in my rigion but that's not an excuse the thermaltake smart se 730w bronze held up for 8 years

Side note . . or I should say side of "ugh" with a facepalm.. I (clearly mistakenly) thought "v2" was supposed to be CoolerMaster redeeming themselves. They're using v2 for some of their good models AND some of their bad ones? 🤬
Honestly there aren't too many bad V2 models.

The mwe bronze V2 and mwe gold V2 are both competent units. Not top tier for sure, but units that are decent enough quality for the vast majority of systems.

The V-Series V2 is a very good unit that I would use for even higher end systems easily.

The only real exceptions I can think of would be the elite V2 and the mwe white v2.

The Elite V2 has been around forever and shouldn't be included with the new V2 units because of that. Besides, I don't know that it's still sold I haven't seen it for sale in quite some time.

The MWE White V2 I don't know a lot about. I've heard rumors that it might be ok but never seen a review.

On one hand I think it's using a modern LLC+dc-dc platform and is only 80+ White, so they must have used absolutely garbage tier components to make it so inefficient.

But on the other hand, it's still probably a big step up from the previous MWE white that was group reg iirc.

Oh for God's sake, "not good" is not good, period.

Now, I'm not saying that is the case with that unit, just that, let's be real. I don't care WHAT your region or market is, if a unit is not good, it's not good, period. There is no "well it's good unless you live HERE". That, is not a thing. There is ONLY, bad, ok, good and really good, when you get down to brass tacks. That's it. Period. IMO.

Below mediocre quality but not that terrible as many others. Better look something else.

Also, there are plethora of PSU brands out there and listing them all is fruitless task.

They were listed as some of the best units in the tier under Tier B in PSU tier list. Is that wrong? (The VIVA GOLD)

The other options I have here are Corsair CX650M, DeepCool PM750D Gold (yes, availability is bad and budget constrained)

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
They were listed as some of the best units in the tier under Tier B in PSU tier list. Is that wrong? (The VIVA GOLD)

Are they?

I see them under Tier B, low priority units,
PSU tier list: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

Corsair CX650M

Better than Silverstone unit, mediocre quality.

DeepCool PM750D Gold

Best to avoid DeepCool entirely. Most of their PSUs are low quality.

The list yo are seeing is outdated (revision 14.8). LT list is also outdated. This one is active (reev 15.0) and last updated in 30 Oct 2021. If you go to the google spreadsheet, you can see 15.1 is ongoing in "Changelog" sheet and if you search for "VIVA" in this sheet you can see it is moved from low priority to normal priority tier B and they are written in Golden font in the tier list which means the best of the group.

Otherwise, what would you recommend INR 5500-6000 from this link -> PCPriceTracker India. I can see Cooler Master G600 Gold under this price range, but Cooler Master is not recommended to purchase at all as per this thread.

System specs:
i5 11400 (power limits removed)
Gigabyte B560M Aorus Elite
Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB Micron E-die (will OC to 4000CL18 or something)
RTX 3060 (no OC as of now)

Last edited:

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Hey, how about Silverstone VIVA Gold 650W and 750W units?

It's fine as a budget option. Basically a Silverstone version of Chieftec Polaris (identical components wise), a review of which you can see here :

Quick question, when looking at a PSU and for example the EVGA 650w G2 specs +3.3V@24A, +5V@22A, +12V@54.1A, +5VSB@3.0A, -12V@0.5A do you take the 12v rail times the amps to get the PSU wattage rating or do you add the 3.3, 5, and 12v rails to get the wattage?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
These days, the 12V rails are what's important. A good PSU should be able produce most, if not all, of its rated power on the 12V rails. I'd say at least around 90% of it, anyway...

The ones that rate their power, but produce MUCH less than that total on the 12V rail, are generally either ancient designs, or companies trying to sell you a fire-starter.

It's fine as a budget option. Basically a Silverstone version of Chieftec Polaris (identical components wise), a review of which you can see here :
Thank you, I will read it. The VIVA GOLD units have only 3 year warranty compared to 5 years for majority of PSUs and this is making me paranoid.

These days, the 12V rails are what's important. A good PSU should be able produce most, if not all, of its rated power on the 12V rails. I'd say at least around 90% of it, anyway...

The ones that rate their power, but produce MUCH less than that total on the 12V rail, are generally either ancient designs, or companies trying to sell you a fire-starter.
If CPU and GPU are mainly powered by 12V rail, what components get power from 5V, 5VSB and 3.3V rails?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Drives, off the top of my head.. I know a couple of other things, but nothing that sucks up a huge amount of power.

SATA drives almost exclusively these days. Which is why the ATX 12VO standard can get away with power conversion on the motherboard. There just isn't a lot to power.

5V RGB strips? That still might be running off 12V though.