Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 82 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
There are lemons, even among the best. And for that reason, we have warranty.

As of melting connectors go, perhaps the manufacturing defect with the cables was the issue, rather than PSU itself. :unsure: This is easily prevented by using custom sleeved compatible cables. E.g from CableMod.
Noted, indeed.

HCG extreme's are good but the HCG golds have some issue with the 3xxx series. Have seen atleast 10-15 HCG's melt out their pcie connectors
You have demonstrable evidence of this? 10-15 unique events, that YOU have evidence of? I'm doubtful, but not exclusively dubious. Lemons are one thing. A lemon tree is something different.

And if ANY of them were due to changes in cabling or attempts to use previously installed cabling from a different unit, then all bets are off, because this is the usual cause of such things.

Reactions: King_V

Jerrymc3

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
I've used three different psu calculators for my system and have gotten a range from 655 to 1200 watts.
These are my current system specs:
P3DV 5.3, Prosi737 Server, Wideview
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo
i9-9900K 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Turbo)
EVGA CLC 240 Liquid / Water CPU Cooler
Gigabyte RTX 3080 10GB
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3600
(3) Vizio 42” HDTVs-Front surround view
12” Monitor for atc and gsx menus
Cooler Master NR600 Case
SoundBlaster Sound Card
1TB M2. (4) 1TB SSD, 1TB HD, 3TB HD
EVGA 850W psu
WINDOWS 10
I use all usb outputs on my motherboard plus a pci usb outputs card
Also a 13port powered usb hub which is powering radios and navigation devices

I just ordered a Gigabyte RTX 3090TI graphics card and I don't know if my current psu has enough power. This computer is powering a home built B737-800 cockpit and don't know if my 850w psu is adequate to handle the additional draw of the 3090ti. I wiped out my savings to buy this new gpu and I certainly don't want an inadequate psu to damage my system. I'm not interested and can't afford overkill but can you give me a safe recommendation for a psu if I need to replace the 850w?

Jerry

The GQ850 is a decent quality unit but it is older and based on an older topology that is not well suited to the transient load spikes from a 3090ti.

I would use it but save up and upgrade as soon as you can.

Since it's decent quality and has a full set of protections, in worst case if the 3090ti is too much it should just turn off.

Jerrymc3

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
I saw the CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM1000x was #7 in your list of best psus. If you think its necessary to upgrade I found it on sale for $167.99.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I saw the CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM1000x was #7 in your list of best psus. If you think its necessary to upgrade I found it on sale for $167.99.

If you replace your RTX 3080 with RTX 3090 TI, then additional power draw increases 100W. Here, the RM1000x would suffice, since it would give you more headroom wattage wise and it is also better build quality wise. Age wise, both (GQ850 and RM100x) are same, seeing release in 2015.

arniman-gx

Prominent
Aug 22, 2021
hello, forgive me if i am asking like this in here....

i have .... i9 10900 non k + 2x16gb ddr4 + 3 hdd 7200rpm sata3 + 8x12cm fan casing + msi rtx 3080 10gb trio gaming z + seasonic gx 850w 80+ gold (2021)....

but, are my PSU is still working fine 100% ?? if i want upgrade into this vga ....

1. asus rtx 3090 24gb tuf gaming oc, 2x8 pin, recommended PSU 850w
  2. asus rog rtx 3090 24gb strix oc, 3x8 pin, recommended PSU 850w
  3. msi rtx 3090 24gb trio gaming x, 3x8 pin, recommended PSU 750w
  4. gigabyte rtx 3090 24gb gaming oc, 2x8 pin, recommended PSU 750w

or, should i upgrade my PSU into corsair RME 1000w 80+ gold too..... ??

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
but, are my PSU is still working fine 100% ?? if i want upgrade into this vga ....

1. asus rtx 3090 24gb tuf gaming oc, 2x8 pin, recommended PSU 850w
  2. asus rog rtx 3090 24gb strix oc, 3x8 pin, recommended PSU 850w
  3. msi rtx 3090 24gb trio gaming x, 3x8 pin, recommended PSU 750w
  4. gigabyte rtx 3090 24gb gaming oc, 2x8 pin, recommended PSU 750w
or, should i upgrade my PSU into corsair RME 1000w 80+ gold too..... ??

To be on the safe side, i'd go with 1kW unit. Preferably 1.2kW (1200W) unit.

Reason is explained here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRyyCsuHFQ

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, I'm not generally a huge fan of JayzTwoCents, but every now and then he hits on a really good thing, naturally backed by work done by gamersnexus, whom he gives credit to. Those data pins not being present with the use of adapters could very well be extremely important to gpus/psus relationship with regards to power draw, especially on multi-rail psus.

And of course Corsair says it's not important, and that their products will all be fine with these newer cards, since they don't HAVE any ATX 3.0 compliant models ready. I think anybody intending to buy a new card from either AMD or Nvidia would be REALLY, REALLY wise to wait for reviews and newer PSU models to become a lot more available.

October 4, 2022, Taipei, Taiwan

Sea Sonic Electronics Co., Ltd. is proud to announce the release of its PCIe 5.0 – 12VHPWR connector cable set for the PRIME 1300, 1000 and FOCUS 1000 W power supplies.

In wake of the recent announcements that upcoming VGA cards can be powered by specific ATX 2.xx power supplies, Sea Sonic will provide a free 12VHPWR cable to qualifying customers.

For maximum efficiency and ultimate performance, this 12VHPWR connector cable set is made with 16 AWG wires and high-current terminal connectors to install the newest graphics cards directly to the Seasonic PRIME 1300, 1000 and FOCUS 1000 W power supplies.

Starting on October 12, 2022, our complimentary cable offer will be valid for customers who purchased a PRIME 1300, PRIME 1000 or FOCUS 1000 W power supply and a newest, high-power VGA card within the past 12 months. Proofs of both purchases are required to apply for the free 12VHPWR cable. The quantity of free cable sets is limited, and this offer is valid only as long as our supplies last.

Visit https://seasonic.com/cable-request/ to apply.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Sea Sonic Electronics Co., Ltd. is proud to announce the release of its PCIe 5.0 – 12VHPWR connector cable set for the PRIME 1300, 1000 and FOCUS 1000 W power supplies.

Same news from Corsair:

--

MILPITAS, CA, September 22nd, 2022

The newly announced Nvidia RTX 4090 promises a huge leap in performance, and the great news for PC enthusiasts is that CORSAIR’s existing power supply lineup is already fully compatible with the new Nvidia 40-series. While the RTX 4090 uses a new 12+4 pin 12VHPWR power connector, all cards will ship with a PCI-e 8-pin power to 12VHPWR adapter. There’s no need to wait for future PSUs to support Intel’s new ATX 3.0 standard and CORSAIR’s power supplies already provide the needed reliability and quality components to support the higher power needs of the next generation of PC hardware. Whether it’s an RM1000 that’s seen many builds, or a brand new HX1500i, you can depend on your CORSAIR PSU to power your graphics cards into the future.

Additionally, customers can now order official CORSAIR 12VHPWR 600W cables compatible with all CORSAIR type-4 PSUs, connecting directly to the PSU via the existing PSU-side connectors for unfettered power straight for your new graphics card – no PCIe adapter required. With sense-wires configured to 600W, your graphics card will know it’s able to draw its maximum power load*.

Availability and Compatibility

The official CORSAIR 12VHPWR 600W PSU cable is available to order immediately from the CORSAIR webstore. Orders will ship beginning September 29th.

To check if your PSU is compatible with the CORSAIR 12VHPWR 600W PSU cable, please check https://www.corsair.com/12vhpwr

*600W load requires a 1200W rated CORSAIR PSU or higher. 450W load requires 1000W or higher. 300W load requires 750W or higher.

--

Article: https://www.corsair.com/newsroom/pr...atibility-for-nvidia-40-series-graphics-cards
New power cable: https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categ...0-12VHPWR-Type-4-PSU-Power-Cable/p/CP-8920284

After looking elsewhere as well, I don't see any mention of Corsair using 16awg wiring and high current terminal connections on their adapter though. I'd hope they are, but I don't see it stated like I do with Seasonic.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
After looking elsewhere as well, I don't see any mention of Corsair using 16awg wiring and high current terminal connections on their adapter though. I'd hope they are, but I don't see it stated like I do with Seasonic.

Poke JonnyGuru and ask him. :LOL:

Though, if JonnyGuru has anything to say about it, i don't think he'd let inferior product out of the door.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
In the earlier example did they not connect the small 4pin portion on the side of the connector as far as i am aware of and it seems it doesn't even have it, this newer one does have power wires connected to that piece of the connector.

Old: 12-pin GPU Power Cable
New: 600W PCIe 5.0 12VHPWR Type-4 PSU Power Cable

don't know what i missed or how i missed it, but the extra 4pin are sense wires which you all already know ....

Cables are so different though, liked it braided more.

Last edited: