Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 84 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
So, PSU experts, any thoughts about the upcoming Corsair RMx Shift? And it's side mounted connectors?

E4KCBHjekYuvK6EwLGms2E-970-80.jpg

Article: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/corsair-rmx-shift-psu-modular

IMO, way too niche of a PSU, which only works in very specific PC cases (that have the room for the connectors on it's side). Also, mounting fan downwards = connectors blocked off by most PC cases (since connectors are facing MoBo tray). Fan downwards may work only in inverted PC cases.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
So, PSU experts, any thoughts about the upcoming Corsair RMx Shift? And it's side mounted connectors?

E4KCBHjekYuvK6EwLGms2E-970-80.jpg

Article: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/corsair-rmx-shift-psu-modular

IMO, way too niche of a PSU, which only works in very specific PC cases (that have the room for the connectors on it's side). Also, mounting fan downwards = connectors blocked off by most PC cases (since connectors are facing MoBo tray). Fan downwards may work only in inverted PC cases.

A lot of cases (especially those by Corsair) have an open space in that section of the motherboard tray, so the plugs and wires would be completely hidden between the gap in the tray and the side of the case, only peeking out where they need to connect. it will definitely look nice in the proper case setup. I would buy one if I had a case that could handle it.

Reactions: NaClKnight

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
A lot of cases (especially those by Corsair) have an open space in that section of the motherboard tray, so the plugs and wires would be completely hidden between the gap in the tray and the side of the case, only peeking out where they need to connect.

But that would undermine CableMod and their custom sleeved power cables business. :unsure: Since when you can remove power cables out of sight, no point to buy fancy custom sleeved power cables. (Perhaps only extensions, but that could increase ripple.) Though, PSU shroud for many PC cases already does that, hence why i don't like those cases. I like to see my PSU and the good looking cable management i did. :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You are thinking about a standard ATX mid. Which for the most part doesn't apply with this type of psu. It's going to be for the wider cases, like the Lian-Li dynamics, that have floor mounted fans, or some cases that have motherboard divider trays or even the oddballs like the Omen sectional case.

What we don't know is the reasoning behind the shift, but needless to say it's going to take a major platform change to move that buss 90° out of what's been a typical layout.

And I doubt it'll be the only version of the RMx, but most likely a limited edition varient, like the white psus.

Plus, there's a bunch of cases where the side of the psu is actually visible from the back side panel, so this may be a fix for easier access to the connectors, by taking off the relatively unused side of the case.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
What we don't know is the reasoning behind the shift

My guess: looks like Corsair has plenty of free money and Jonnyguru has been given free reign to play around with PSU layouts. Similar to K|NGP|N and EVGA, where K|NGP|N had free reign to play around with GPU designs and create all sorts of interesting and unique designs.

but needless to say it's going to take a major platform change to move that buss 90° out of what's been a typical layout.

So, Aris would have a field day with it when reviewing it? :LOL: Also, i'd be interested to see the innards myself (from review of course, not going to buy one and open it up). :)

Which for the most part doesn't apply with this type of psu. It's going to be for the wider cases, like the Lian-Li dynamics, that have floor mounted fans, or some cases that have motherboard divider trays or even the oddballs like the Omen sectional case.

Like i said, a niche PSU for niche case.
It's probably a waste of money. But then again, none has done it before and it may end up as the new "norm".

It would take VERY little for future OR existing cases in the way of modification of the design to support this change in PSU design. It would LITERALLY only take leaving a larger (Wider OR more pass throughs) cabling pass through at the bottom of the motherboard tray where it meets the floor of the case (For standard tower designs). That's it. Nothing else.

The fan is no differently placed than on any other power supply. They are always supposed to be at the bottom, bringing cool air into the PSU and expelling heat out the back of the case. They are not intended to be used with the fan facing the internals of the case so that it has to use heated air for cooling the PSU. Yes, there are definitely case designs where it has to be used that way AND there ARE people who CHOOSE to face them that way either for some irregular reason or because they are particularly anal about the way the label on the side is oriented (Because some manufacturers took a long time in realizing they needed to change the orientation of the labeling in order for them to be properly installed in bottom mounted configurations) but those are all the ACTUAL niche concerns.

Certainly there are additional tweaks to the modification of the case design beyond that which could be helpful in making it even more useful, but quite honestly you could literally pop a hole or two next to where the PSU sits in just about any halfway decent case that has been released in the last five to seven years and benefit from this PSU design. Frankly, I'm actually surprised nobody has done this before AND we probably won't see many others doing this unless they are willing to pay Corsair for the right to do so since it's likely Corsair has already patented this proprietary design and they would be unable to use it without their permission and the payment of royalties. Certainly it might be argued that just moving something to a different location doesn't justify granting patent rights for that but I'm betting it will since it is literally a proprietary layout. It will be interesting to see at the least and I hope it isn't considered to be a new proprietary IP as widespread adoption isn't going to happen if only one company is doing it.

Reactions: Karadjgne

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
It would take VERY little for future OR existing cases in the way of modification of the design to support this change in PSU design. It would LITERALLY only take leaving a larger (Wider OR more pass throughs) cabling pass through at the bottom of the motherboard tray where it meets the floor of the case (For standard tower designs). That's it. Nothing else.

The fan is no differently placed than on any other power supply. They are always supposed to be at the bottom, bringing cool air into the PSU and expelling heat out the back of the case. They are not intended to be used with the fan facing the internals of the case so that it has to use heated air for cooling the PSU. Yes, there are definitely case designs where it has to be used that way AND there ARE people who CHOOSE to face them that way either for some irregular reason or because they are particularly anal about the way the label on the side is oriented (Because some manufacturers took a long time in realizing they needed to change the orientation of the labeling in order for them to be properly installed in bottom mounted configurations) but those are all the ACTUAL niche concerns.

Certainly there are additional tweaks to the modification of the case design beyond that which could be helpful in making it even more useful, but quite honestly you could literally pop a hole or two next to where the PSU sits in just about any halfway decent case that has been released in the last five to seven years and benefit from this PSU design. Frankly, I'm actually surprised nobody has done this before AND we probably won't see many others doing this unless they are willing to pay Corsair for the right to do so since it's likely Corsair has already patented this proprietary design and they would be unable to use it without their permission and the payment of royalties. Certainly it might be argued that just moving something to a different location doesn't justify granting patent rights for that but I'm betting it will since it is literally a proprietary layout. It will be interesting to see at the least and I hope it isn't considered to be a new proprietary IP as widespread adoption isn't going to happen if only one company is doing it.

My Buddy is a patent attorney, that is unlikely to be something that could be patented.

I'd tend to agree, but, you might be surprised at some of the extremely ridiculous patents that are out there that have been ok by the US patent office. I mean, if they grant a patent for a <Mod Edit> STICK, then I think regardless of what you, I or your patent attorney buddy might think, there is plenty of room for a patent in the change of design from a standard PSU layout to something new.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6360693

And I'm not exaggerating when I say that THAT one, isn't even the worst of what's out there. But it does highlight the obvious idiocy of the entire structure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'll patent foot prints in the mud as a way to hold liquid. Then, anybody using that on their property anywhere in the world will be in violation of my patent. All I have to do is follow people around when they go out walking after it rains. LOL.

Reactions: King_V
Nope. It's totally legal to LOOK at anybody's visible property so long as you are not ON their property. If I can see a violation from public access, then I can sue you for infringement. And if your animals are drinking out of that foot print that is patented, and you are a business, then it gets worse. LOL. Obviously, I'm being facetious, but it's not that far fetched in what they do.

WOW!!! Sure is a good thing EVGA quit making graphics cards and came out with ANOTHER new line of power supply, because, you know, they didn't ALREADY have an abundance of product series beyond what was realistically necessary.

And what the hell is "hard line design" supposed to mean? I assume, it's their way of trying to make "non-modular" sound like it has some benefit or is intentional. "With only the most common cables included", so basically, don't plan on adding any older or exotic hardware if you're using one of these. LOL.

Reactions: King_V
Aug 23, 2023
I learned (and am still learning) so much from this thread, had no idea how little I knew about PSUs. Thank you to everyone who posted and especially Darkbreeze for starting it and answering so many questions.

That said, is the Corsair RMX RM850x (80 plus gold) a decent enough PSU? (I know in your first post you said “any of the … RMx … units are good” but does that still hold true? Building my first PC and might return it and grab something else after reading so much here if not.

Thanks again!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
WOW!!! Sure is a good thing EVGA quit making graphics cards and came out with ANOTHER new line of power supply, because, you know, they didn't ALREADY have an abundance of product series beyond what was realistically necessary.

And what the hell is "hard line design" supposed to mean? I assume, it's their way of trying to make "non-modular" sound like it has some benefit or is intentional. "With only the most common cables included", so basically, don't plan on adding any older or exotic hardware if you're using one of these. LOL.

Direct connection is better, less losses, skin effect, and points of failure. Just that since we can't make a comprehensive standard for length and connectors needed modular makes more sense for DIY. OEM can customize lengths to minimize costs.

Always adapters if you want to plug in older stuff. Though I still don't trust SATA to Molex.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Molex is 11A per pin. So upto 132w or 55w depending on whether 12v or 5v. Sata is 4.5A. Big difference, and ppl dont think about that and plug in stuff on splitters thinking they have plenty of headroom since it's molex and forget that it takes 2x Sata to adequately power 1x molex, not the other way around.