[SOLVED] PSU Recommendations for 6800 XT & Ryzen 5600x

Malakai432

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
Hello Community,

I'm kind of struggling here to make a decision on which PSU to buy to pair a 6800 XT and 5600x that was recently bought. I keep hearing 750w is fine and recommended by factory. However, others recommend 850w. I'm trying to piece together the rest of the build in a somewhat budget friendly manner.

I've also heard some pre 2018 models can't handle power spikes from the likes of the 3080's or perhaps the 6800 xt also. For example the Seasonic FOCUS PX 750 platinum, which costs a mere $130 but dates back to 2017. However the FOCUS GX series has both a 750w and 850w with a 2020 date on them.

Just looking for a good PSU from a price to performance perspective. I'm not going to do any major overclocking by any means. I appreciate an help.

Regards,

Malakai

Solution
You will find brand new power supplies that were manufactured in 2017 still today from suppliers etc, does not mean they are bad then or bad now, they may lack new technologies which I would consider nothing to worry about - It will also still be new and have its warranty, the PX 750 Platinum is still a top tier power supply and if its cheaper than the GX I would grab it. 750 would be absolutely fine with a 6800 XT since it has a peak of 300w under full load (Which will not be all the time) and your cpu would be what 95 so most time you would have a system load of under 500w at full load. Maybe? Depends on the rest of the sytem really, but with most ryzen or intel I would say 750 is absolutely fine...

CryoWolf

Honorable
Aug 20, 2014
You will find brand new power supplies that were manufactured in 2017 still today from suppliers etc, does not mean they are bad then or bad now, they may lack new technologies which I would consider nothing to worry about - It will also still be new and have its warranty, the PX 750 Platinum is still a top tier power supply and if its cheaper than the GX I would grab it. 750 would be absolutely fine with a 6800 XT since it has a peak of 300w under full load (Which will not be all the time) and your cpu would be what 95 so most time you would have a system load of under 500w at full load. Maybe? Depends on the rest of the sytem really, but with most ryzen or intel I would say 750 is absolutely fine.

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator use this and calculate how much you would user under certain condtions after putting in your parts. You maybe suprised how much power you may use.

Reactions: Malakai432
Solution

Malakai432

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
You will find brand new power supplies that were manufactured in 2017 still today from suppliers etc, does not mean they are bad then or bad now, they may lack new technologies which I would consider nothing to worry about - It will also still be new and have its warranty, the PX 750 Platinum is still a top tier power supply and if its cheaper than the GX I would grab it. 750 would be absolutely fine with a 6800 XT since it has a peak of 300w under full load (Which will not be all the time) and your cpu would be what 95 so most time you would have a system load of under 500w at full load. Maybe? Depends on the rest of the sytem really, but with most ryzen or intel I would say 750 is absolutely fine.

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator use this and calculate how much you would user under certain condtions after putting in your parts. You maybe suprised how much power you may use.

Thanks for the response, turns out the 6800 XT I ordered was canceled due to no stock unfortunately. Was able to still obtain the Ryzen 5600x but due to the holidays I haven't had much time to really go back to GPU hunting.